- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Preview: Bruins prepare to take on Kings without Marc Savard
Posted By DJ Bean On January 24, 2011 @ 3:10 am In General | No Comments
As the Bruins (21-14-7) await word on the status of Marc Savard, they will look to sweep their two-game road trip when they take on the Kings (25-22-1) at the Staples Center. The B’s and Kings last met at the Garden on Nov. 20, with the Kings winning, 4-3, in a shootout.
WHERE IT’S AT
- The Kings are 15-9-1 at home this season, and are 3-6-0 over their last nine home contests.
- The Bruins are 15-5-4 in away games this season. They have gotten at least one point in each of their road games since the Dec. 27 win over the Panthers, and are 6-0-3 over that stretch. Their last regulation road loss came on Dec. 16 vs. the Canadiens.
- The Bruins have averaged 4.0 goals a game since their 7-6 shootout loss to the Sabres on New Years Day. They had averaged 2.83 goals a night in the first 36 games of the season. Patrice Bergeron and Brad Marchand have seven goals apiece this month, while Zdeno Chara has six.
David Krejci, Shawn Thornton, Adam McQuaid, and Daniel Paille are the only Bruins’ skaters without goals this month.
-Thornton’s 15 consecutive games without a goal is his longest such stretch of the season. It’s quite remarkable considering he went 72 straight games without a tally a season ago.
Thornton’s seven goals are a career-high, and he’s on pace for 12 this season.
- Jonathan Quick is fifth in the NHL with a 2.22 save goals against average. Tim Thomas is first with a 1.83 mark.
STORYLINES GOING IN
- This road trip could have meant a visit with both of the Bruins’ cap causalities this season in Matt Hunwick (Colorado) and Marco Sturm (Los Angeles), but the B’s will have to settle with having seen Hunwick on Saturday. Knee tendinitis has Sturm on injured reserve, retroactive to Jan. 18.
The B’s traded the German winger to Los Angeles on Dec. 11 in a deal that landed them nothing in return, though the true prize of the trade was the freedom to proceed with the activation of Savard without having to worry about cap strife. In 15 games with the Kings this season, Sturm has four goals and four assists for eight points. He had 106 goals in parts of four seasons with the B’s after being acquired in the Joe Thornton trade.
- The Bruins have two games in hand when it comes to their race with the Lightning for the No. 2 spot in the Eastern Conference, but Tampa Bay grabbed another two points Sunday with a 7-1 win over the Thrashers. They have 65 points to the Bruins’ 61, while the B’s lead the Canadiens by two points in the Northeast Division.
- Should Thomas get the nod in net, he will have the opportunity to grab a piece of the league lead in wins, a category he hasn’t led since the beginning of the season. Jonas Hiller and Carey Price each have 24 victories this season, and with both the Ducks and Canadiens off Monday, Thomas (23-4-6) could make it a three-way tie. Thomas already leads the league in goals against average (1.83), save percentage (.945) and is tied with Henrik Lundqvist for a league-leading seven shutouts.
Thomas has not lost a game in regulation since Dec. 20. He is 8-0-3 in 11 games (10 starts) since then.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/01/24/preview-bruins-prepare-to-take-on-kings-without-marc-savard/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/01/24/preview-bruins-prepare-to-take-on-kings-without-marc-savard/willie-mitchell-jonathan-quick/
 > Preview: Bruins prepare to take on Kings without Marc Savard" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/01/24/preview-bruins-prepare-to-take-on-kings-without-marc-savard/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.