Tim Thomas named NHL’s First Star of the Week
|01.24.11 at 12:34 pm ET|
The NHL announced Monday that Bruins goaltender Tim Thomas has been named the First Star of the Week for the week ending on Jan. 22. Thomas went 3-0-0 over three starts last week, recording a shutout against the Hurricanes Monday and following it with a season-high 43-save effort on Monday. He made 32 saves in the team’s 3-2 win over the Avalanche on Saturday.
Thomas, who will play in this weekend’s All-Star Game, leads the NHL in goals against average (1.83), save percentage (.945), and his tied with Rangers netminder Henrik Lundqvist for the league lead with seven shutouts. He is second in wins with 23.
This is the fourth time this season a Bruins player has received a “Star” distinction. Thomas was the First Star of the Week for the week ending on Oct. 31 and was October’s Second Star of the Month. Patrice Bergeron was named Second Star of the Week for the week ending on Jan. 15.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Do the Bruins Need to Make Major Change on Defense Before 2014-15?
- Should the Bruins Re-Sign Shawn Thornton?
- Bruins Prospects Look to Preserve Their AHL Playoff Run
- Complete Guide to Bruins' 2014 Offseason
- Final Report Card for Bruins' 2013-14 Season
- Game 6 Keys for Bruins, Canadiens
- Takeaways from Canadiens vs. Bruins Game 5