- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Gameday notes: Bruins looking for first win vs. Habs
Posted By DJ Bean On February 9, 2011 @ 3:02 pm In General | No Comments
With the Canadiens in town on Wednesday, a regulation win for either team means a four-point swing in the standings. With the Bruins leading the Habs by two points, that means a ton right now.
The unfortunate thing for the Bruins is that they have yet to win against the Canadiens this season, going 0-2-1 in their three games and blowing a 2-0 lead late in the third period Jan. 8 en route to a 3-2 overtime loss.
“It’s a long season,” Shawn Thornton  said of the B’s lack of success against the rival Habs. “The last game in there we definitely should have won. ‘¦ We had a couple of breakdowns, they ended up pulling it out late, and give credit to them for not giving up, but it’s a long season. We’ve got three more against them, and hopefully we can do some damage control.”
The Canadiens are coming off a 4-1 loss to the Devils on Sunday. Here are a few other notes:
– In case you haven’t seen it yet, Tyler Seguin  is a healthy scratch for the Bruins. It’s technically the second time he’s been a “healthy” scratch, with the team listing flu-like symptoms as the reason he didn’t play on Dec. 11 against the Flyers. Zach Hamill and Jordan Caron are both in the lineup playing on the third and fourth line, respectively.
– Patrice Bergeron , who left Tuesday’s practice and had to go to the hospital for stitches after getting a puck to the face, is fine and will play Wednesday. Mark Recchi  and Zdeno Chara  were not on the ice for morning skate but were just given the morning off to rest. They’ll both play as well.
– It looks like the recent exchange between former Bruin Hal Gill and rookie P.K. Subban in which Gill called the fellow blueliner an “a–hole”  over his treatment of the team’s jersey was blown way out of proportion. Members of the Montreal media here who observed the exchange are saying the it was very obviously a joke after Gil accused Subban of “throwing” the Habs’ jersey on the ground while getting undressed.
– Speaking of Subban, Tuesday will be his first game at the Garden since destroying Brad Marchand  with a very clean but very hard hit in Montreal on Dec. 16. Subban’s done some damage against the Bruins, as he has a goal and an assist against them this season in addition to the hit that kept Marchand out for three games with “soreness.” The Gregory Campbell  penalty he drew following the hit also led to a power play goal.
“I’d like him to elevate it all the time. It’s something that I think he strives to be consistent, and I think he’s a good player, but he’s got the ability to be a great player. When he’s given that challenge he seems to rise to that occasion.”
Krecji has no goals over his last 19 games.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/02/09/gameday-notes-bruins-looking-for-first-win-vs-habs/
URLs in this post:
 Shawn Thornton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/shawn-thornton.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Mark Recchi: http://media.weei.com/hockey/mark-recchi.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Gill called the fellow blueliner an “a–hole”: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/The-two-very-different-sides-to-the-P-K-Subban-?urn=nhl-319027
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Gregory Campbell: http://media.weei.com/hockey/gregory-campbell.htm
 Claude Julien: http://media.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 hopes to step his game up with Marc Savard out: http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/dj-bean/2011/02/08/marc-savard-done-david-krejci-wants-added-pressure
 > Gameday notes: Bruins looking for first win vs. Habs" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/02/09/gameday-notes-bruins-looking-for-first-win-vs-habs/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.