- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Price tagged: Bruins crush Habs
Posted By DJ Bean On February 9, 2011 @ 9:58 pm In General | 16 Comments
The Bruins lit up Montreal goaltender Carey Price  for eight goals as they picked up their first victory against the Canadiens this season, a 8-6 win at the TD Garden.
The game featured 192 penalty minutes between the two teams. The more notable of the fights was a goalie brawl between Tim Thomas  and Price at 12:36 of the second period. The netminders squared off in the Canadiens’ zone, with Price getting the better of Thomas.
Despite losing the fight, Thomas improved to 26-6-6 on the season, and the victory puts the B’s four points ahead of the Habs in the Northeast Division. The Bruins will return to action Friday when they host the Red Wings Friday night.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Patrice Bergeron ‘s line continues to impress. Before the floodgates opened on both sides and the game turned into a high-scoring affair, it was Marchand that got the B’s on the board after a beautiful display of passing from the rookie, Mark Recchi , and Bergeron.
- It was good to see Ryder’s two-goal performance given his struggles earlier in the game. Ryder entered the game having not scored in eight straight games, and he lost the puck in front of the net early in the second. Ryder’s first goal was set up by a beautiful backhanded pass from Zach Hamill. Both players had to be encouraged by their nights. Ryder had what he thought was his second goal of the night waved off in the third period, as Brad Marchand  was pushed into Price. He would make up for it with a power play goal at 10:01.
- Nathan Horton had five points (1 G, 4 A) on the night, the most he’s had in a game as a member of the Bruins. He had three helpers on Nov. 18 against the Panthers at the Garden.
Horton has definitely sprinkled in some very good games in the midst of his goal-scoring slump. See below regarding his penalties, but offensively, Wednesday was one of them those games.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- P.K. Subban is a pain in the Bruins’ you-know-what. He scored on the power play in the second period and added an assist in addition to once again getting under the skin of the Boston players. In four games against the B’s this season, Subban has four points (2 G, 2 A) and on Dec. 16 drew the penalty that led to a Habs power play goal. Whether it’s on the stat sheet or by getting in players’ heads, the rookie blueliner has been able to be pest to the Bruins. The B’s got the last laugh, of course, as the rookie ended up with a minus-3 rating for the night.
- As encouraging as Horton’s assists were, his penalties cost the B’s in both the second and third periods. Horton went off twice for tripping, and the Habs scored on each of the power plays, getting Subban’s second-period strike and a Max Pacioretty  goal 7:06 of the third.
- Statistically, Wednesday night’s was Thomas’ worst game of the season. The six goals he allowed was the most he’s given up in a game this season. Thomas allowed five goals to the Flyers on Jan. 13 in a 7-5 win. He faced 35 shots in that game, making 30 saves, whereas he only saw 33 shots Wednesday night.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/02/09/price-tagged-bruins-crush-habs/
URLs in this post:
 Carey Price: http://media.weei.com/hockey/carey-price.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Michael Ryder: http://media.weei.com/hockey/michael-ryder.htm
 Dennis Seidenberg: http://media.weei.com/hockey/dennis-seidenberg.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Mark Recchi: http://media.weei.com/hockey/mark-recchi.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Max Pacioretty: http://media.weei.com/hockey/max-pacioretty.htm
 > Price tagged: Bruins crush Habs" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/02/09/price-tagged-bruins-crush-habs/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.