A great Tim Thomas stat brought to you by a Leafs blogger
|02.10.11 at 2:43 pm ET|
If anyone on twitter isn’t following Down Goes Brown (@downgoesbrown), not only are they missing out on very amusing snarky commentary on the NHL, but they will have also missed out on perhaps an amusing stat regarding Tim Thomas and his MVP campaign. Check out this nugget, which emerged Thursday in wake of Thomas’ goalie fight with Carey Price Wednesday:
Thomas is a serious Hart candidate, though the six goals he allowed Wednesday dent his chances. Even so, his current .942 save percentage would surpass Dominik Hasek’s .937 in 1998-99 as the best since the stat began being recorded.
As for the second half of this interesting development, DGB tweets that the other Hart winner to have a fighting major in the last 10 years was one Joe Thornton, who fought Tim Gleason in 2005-06.
Only six goaltenders have been named MVP of the league, but it seems a Hart winner dropping the gloves these days is just as rare. The spectacle that is Thomas’ season continues to grow.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Do the Bruins Need to Make Major Change on Defense Before 2014-15?
- Should the Bruins Re-Sign Shawn Thornton?
- Bruins Prospects Look to Preserve Their AHL Playoff Run
- Complete Guide to Bruins' 2014 Offseason
- Final Report Card for Bruins' 2013-14 Season
- Game 6 Keys for Bruins, Canadiens
- Takeaways from Canadiens vs. Bruins Game 5