- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins drop second straight to Red Wings
Posted By DJ Bean On February 13, 2011 @ 2:58 pm In General | 2 Comments
The Bruins dropped a 4-2 decision to the Red Wings on Sunday and have now lost back-to-back games in regulation for the first time since Dec. 15 and 16, when they dropped contests to the Sabres and Canadiens in succession.
Todd Bertuzzi  had two goals for the second straight game against the Bruins, with Pavel Datsyuk  and Kris Draper also beating Tim Thomas . Tyler Seguin  and Brad Marchand  provided the scoring for the B’s.
Jimmy Howard, who played his college puck at Maine, improved his record to 28-10-3, giving him the most wins in the NHL . He made 23 saves on 25 shots.
Thomas on the other hand, saw his record fall to 26-7-6. Steven Kampfer, who grew up in Ann Arbor and played his college hockey at the University of Michigan, was a healthy scratch for the game.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– The top line of Milan Lucic , David Krejci , and Nathan Horton  had minimal impact on the game. That can’t happen down the stretch, and it certainly can’t happen in the playoffs. Krejci and Lucic had two shots apiece, which was more than could be said for Horton’s one. With Horton having no shots on goal Friday, he has just one over the last two games.
– Brad Marchand was second in the NHL  with a plus-25 rating entering Friday’s game, but he’s been a minus-5 over the two contests since. After a minus-3 rating on Friday, he was on the ice for two of the four Detroit goals Sunday.
Marchand had a particularly costly turnover in the first period, as he sent a blind pass right to Bertuzzi in front of the net in the first period. Bertuzzi turned the play into his third goal against the B’s in two games, and second gift goal. He capitalized on blunder made by Tuukka Rask  while playing the puck on Friday night.
– Tyler Seguin turned a very encouraging first game back from back-to-back healthy scratch into further proof as to why Claude Julien  has been taking it easy with the rookie. After scoring the Bruins’ first goal by staring involved in the play in front and sending a rebound off a Blake Wheeler  wraparound past Howard in the first period, he played a large role in the game-winning goal for the Red Wings. The second overall pick didn’t stick with Kris Draper, and the right winger scored the go-ahead goal in the second period off a saucer pass from Patrick Eaves.
– Tim Thomas has allowed 11 goals over his last seven periods. That might be a Hart-breaker for the Vezina shoo-in.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Lucic was fine after getting hit square on the front of his right skate with a shot from the point. Trainer Don DelNegro came to the ice to tend to him, and the 22-year-old winger left the ice slowly, but under his own power. He returned to the bench moments later.
– After going five straight games without a power play goal, the B’s have been able to convert with a man advantage in each of the last two games. Krejci had the Bruins’ lone power play tally on Friday, a night in which the B’s went 1-for-3, and Marchand scored on the first of three Bruins’ power plays on Sunday.
– Michael Ryder  had his second multi-point performance in the last three contests. After scoring twice against the Canadiens on Wednesday, he had a pair of assists Sunday. The original scoring of Seguin’s goal gave Wheeler credit for the goal, with Seguin getting the lone assist, but upon correction, Wheeler and Ryder were each credited with a helper. Ryder made a beautiful pass to set up Marchand’s goal on the power play.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/02/13/bruins-drop-second-straight-to-red-wings/
URLs in this post:
 Todd Bertuzzi: http://media.weei.com/hockey/todd-bertuzzi.htm
 Pavel Datsyuk: http://media.weei.com/hockey/pavel-datsyuk.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 NHL: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nhl.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 NHL: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nhl-hockey.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Claude Julien: http://media.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 Blake Wheeler: http://media.weei.com/hockey/blake-wheeler.htm
 Michael Ryder: http://media.weei.com/hockey/michael-ryder.htm
 > Bruins drop second straight to Red Wings" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/02/13/bruins-drop-second-straight-to-red-wings/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.