Zdeno Chara: Former teammate Chris Kelly a ‘great addition’ for Bruins
|02.16.11 at 1:31 pm ET|
WILMINGTON — The Bruins will see a new face in their lineup when Chris Kelly, acquired in a trade with Ottawa Tuesday night for a second-round pick, joins the team for either Thursday or Friday’s game. While Kelly will have nearly an entire Bruins dressing room full of new teammates, he will be reunited with B’s captain Zdeno Chara, with whom he played in Ottawa in the 2003-04 and 2005-06 seasons. Chara had high praise for is former teammate and the move that the team made to acquire him.
“It’s a great addition. He’s a hard-working player, a smart player,” Chara said following Wednesday’s practice. “He always plays his role well and is going to give us more depth in the middle and the experience he has. I think it’s a great addition.
“He’s always a guy that you can rely on to get the job done. He’s a very smart player, and he’s always thinking on the ice before he does anything.”
As for where he will fit in the lineup, Peter Chiarelli said Tuesday night that he expects Kelly to play center on the team’s third line. Coach Claude Julien wouldn’t go that far, saying Wednesday that he needs to see the player first and has “team issues to deal with.”
In 57 games this season, Kelly has 12 goals and 11 assists for 23 points and a minus-12 rating.
- Stanley Cup Final: Bruins take game three. Two to go.
- Public Skate: Bruins 2, Blackhawks 0, Third Period
- Public Skate: Bruins vs. Blackhawks, SECOND PERIOD
- Public Skate: Bruins vs. Blackhawks Stanley Cup Final Game 3
- 3 Questions With... Greg Boysen of Second City Hockey
- Bruins vs Blackhawks Stanley Cup Final Game 3 Preview: Take the lead
- Fresh Links: Resolve Edition