- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins snap skid with win over Islanders
Posted By DJ Bean On February 17, 2011 @ 9:27 pm In General | No Comments
The Bruins broke a three-game losing streak by turning on the offense against a pair of Islanders goaltenders in a 6-3 victory at Nassau Coliseum on Thursday night.
Tyler Seguin  had his third multi-point game of the season, as he set up Blake Wheeler ‘s goal to open the scoring 55 seconds into the game and added his 10th goal of the season in the second period. Wheeler and David Krejci  also had multi-point nights with a goal and an assist apiece. Mark Recchi , Gregory Campbell  and Milan Lucic  also scored for the Bruins. Lucic now has 24 goals on the season, which leads the team.
After the team jumped out to a 4-0 lead, John Tavares scored the first of his two goals on the game in a back-and-forth second period. Josh Bailey scored the other Islanders’ goal.
Islanders starter Nathan Lawson was scored after Seguin’s goal made it 5-1, and Al Montoya made 13 saves on 14 shots. Tuukka Rask  improved to 6-11-1 on the season.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Some have been too quick to give Seguin credit where it isn’t due, but it’s safe to say that Seguin was bringing everything Thursday night that he needs to. The 19-year-old was every bit as engaged as the Bruins are hoping for him to be down the stretch. This was highlighted in the second period, where he was persistent enough score his 10th of the season while losing his balance. Later in the period, he dove at the blue line to keep the puck in the offensive zone.
Seguin’s performances weren’t anything special in his first two games following last week’s healthy scratches (in the case of Sunday, it was detrimental in Detroit), but Thursday’s was the type of performance that suggests the youngster is starting to get it.
- As hectic as things were in the second period, it’s good to see Rask turn in a solid performance in the victory. The third goal was preventable, but but considering that he was pulled after two periods and five goals last Friday against the Red Wings, encouraging signs are welcomed for a guy who you have to assume will get more time between now and the end of the season.
- All three lines scored for the Bruins, and their six goals equaled the number they scored in their losing streak. More nights like Thursday would be a welcomed sign for a team that had been outscored 14-6 over their last three.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- Michael Ryder ‘s minus-1 made him the lone Bruins player with a negative rating on the game. Now at a minus-5 on the season, Ryder is the only Bruin currently on the roster with a negative rating on the year.
- The Bruins went from dominating the first period to playing in a closely contested second period, and that speaks to both the Islanders waking up and the B’s not keeping the pedal to the metal. They still scored three in the second period, but the Islanders’ opportunities against Rask were far more frequent, as the Bruins were outshot, 22-12, in the second.
- Tavares simply did damage. In addition to his two goals, the former first overall pick could have had a hat trick if it weren’t for a third-period bid behind Rask sliding across the crease.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/02/17/bruins-snap-skid-with-win-over-islanders/
URLs in this post:
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Blake Wheeler: http://media.weei.com/hockey/blake-wheeler.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Mark Recchi: http://media.weei.com/hockey/mark-recchi.htm
 Gregory Campbell: http://media.weei.com/hockey/gregory-campbell.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Michael Ryder: http://media.weei.com/hockey/michael-ryder.htm
 > Bruins snap skid with win over Islanders" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/02/17/bruins-snap-skid-with-win-over-islanders/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.