- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Brad Marchand, Tuukka Rask lead Bruins past Senators
Posted By DJ Bean On February 18, 2011 @ 10:07 pm In General | No Comments
The new-look Bruins didn’t get off to the prettiest of starts, but they finished strong to earn a 4-2 victory over the Senators at Scotiabank Place on Friday night.
Brad Marchand  had a pair of goals, while Andrew Ference , Nathan Horton  and David Krejci  also multi-point performances. Krejci now has 11 points over his last 10 contests. Dennis Seidenberg  also scored for the B’s.
Marlborough native and former University of New Hampshire Wildcat Bobby Butler provided the Senators with their first tally, beating Tuukka Rask  at 2:50 of the second period for his third goal in three games. Butler’s strike opened the game’s scoring, but Marchand’s goal from Tyler Seguin  and Ference pulled the B’s even. After Horton gave them the lead at 9:47 of the third, the B’s never looked back. Alexei Kovalev scored for the Senators with 1:30 remaining in the game.
Rask made 32 saves in the game, improving to 7-11-1 on the season.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Almost unbelievably, Rask has won back-to-back games for the first time all season. The 23-year-old netminder hasn’t really gotten many opportunities to string together much success, but with Claude Julien  clearly willing to give him more starts down the stretch, Rask’s performances Thursday and Friday are good for both the confidence of the Finland native and the B’s.
– Friday was about a couple of veterans making their Bruins debuts, but it was the rookies who once again came up big for the B’s. Seguin took a pass from Ference to set up Marchand’s 17th goal of the year, and considering how he’s played the last two nights, it will be hard for the Bruins to scratch the second overall pick when the team returns to action Tuesday in Calgary. With Marchand’s two tallies, he now has 18 on the season.
– On a night in which it appeared Horton may be regressing back to the point where he was back to slumping, the 25-year-old came up big. He entered the night with just one point over his last four games, but he fired a beautiful wrester past Robin Lehner off a nice pass from Krejci at 9:47 of the third. He also drew a holding penalty on holding penalty on Erik Karlsson in the second period, though he went off for holding Milan Michalek at 11:38 of the third.
– The team showed how their power play will be able to operate with Tomas Kaberle , as the newcomer helped orchestrate Seidenberg’s goal. On the night, the B’s power play went 1-for-5.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– The Bruins came out in the first period like a team that had spent the day selling off assets, and not gaining them. They played with very little energy in the first, getting outshot 12-5. Rask came up big throughout the period, which is the silver lining in a surprisingly flat start by the Bruins.
The Bruins did pick it up after their sluggish period, grabbing a 13-8 advantage in shots in the second period and sustaining that increased energy through the third.
– Johnny Boychuk  was a healthy scratch for the second straight game. With Kaberle now in the fold, Boychuk could be the guy that is a regular healthy scratch, with Adam McQuaid and Steven Kampfer also candidates.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/02/18/brad-marchand-tuukka-rask-lead-bruins-past-senators/
URLs in this post:
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Andrew Ference: http://media.weei.com/hockey/andrew-ference.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Dennis Seidenberg: http://media.weei.com/hockey/dennis-seidenberg.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Claude Julien: http://media.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 Tomas Kaberle: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tomas-kaberle.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://media.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 > Brad Marchand, Tuukka Rask lead Bruins past Senators" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/02/18/brad-marchand-tuukka-rask-lead-bruins-past-senators/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.