Source: Bruins trade Blake Wheeler, Mark Stuart for Rich Peverley, Boris Valabik
|02.18.11 at 1:30 pm ET|
According to a source, the Bruins have swung a deal with the Thrashers that will send forward Blake Wheeler and defenseman Mark Stuart to Atlanta in exchange for center Rich Peverley and defenseman Boris Valabik. TSN’s Bob McKenzie was the first to report the deal.
Peverley, 28, has another year remaining on his contract that carries a cap hit of $1.325. He has 14 goals and 20 assists this season for 34 points. Wheeler has 11 goals and 16 assists on the season for 27 points. He will be a restricted free agent at season’s end.
Stuart, set to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, has one goal and four assists for five points in 31 games. He missed time this season due to a fractured and dislocated finger and was relegated to being a healthy scratch upon his return. Valabik, a 6-foot-7, 255 pound blueliner, was the 10th overall pick of the 2004 NHL draft.
[UPDATE: 2:33 p.m.] The Bruins have confirmed the deal.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Brad Marchand's Hot Streak a Big Reason for the Boston Bruins' Recent...
- Prospect Depth Allows BOS to Not Rush Pastrnak
- Seth Griffith Fitting in on the First Line with the Boston Bruins
- Bruins' Depleted Defense Returns to Reality in Loss to Wild
- Bruins' Patrice Bergeron Records 500th Career Point
- Bruins Players Dress Up as 'Frozen' Characters
- Looking at Bruins Defensive Pairings Without Chara