Brian Burke clears up ‘misinformation’ in post-trade presser
|02.19.11 at 3:55 am ET|
Great stuff from Brian Burke‘s presser on Friday. The Maple Leafs general manager went out of his way to clear up what he called “misinformation” this week surrounding the dealings between he and Tomas Kaberle‘s camp. Here’s what he had to say (video below):
“The player did not want to leave. I want to be clear on that. He asked for an extension several times, and I didn’t feel we were in a position to meet what I thought his demands would be. I said to him, ‘You’ve got to work with us to get something if you want to, and if not we’ll go from there.’
“He came back and he said that he would like us to start with the Boston Bruins. I said, ‘OK, that makes sense. We’ll try to get [Kaberle] there, but we’re not accepting a one team list from any agent or any player. We set our price, which was a first-round pick and a prospect off our list, not their list. I said, ‘If Boston meets that, we’ll make the deal, and if they don’t, we want two more teams. And if we [can’t make it work with those teams], we want two more teams after that.'”
Here’s Burke talking about his team’s chances of still making the playoffs, and why he didn’t feel it was worth keeping Kaberle if it meant they’d be a No. 8 seed and get their rears kicked in the first round. It’s clearly not something he wants to talk about at length, as the second video shows.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Brad Marchand's Hot Streak a Big Reason for the Boston Bruins' Recent...
- Prospect Depth Allows BOS to Not Rush Pastrnak
- Seth Griffith Fitting in on the First Line with the Boston Bruins
- Bruins' Depleted Defense Returns to Reality in Loss to Wild
- Bruins' Patrice Bergeron Records 500th Career Point
- Bruins Players Dress Up as 'Frozen' Characters
- Looking at Bruins Defensive Pairings Without Chara