- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Milan Lucic plays hero in win over Lightning
Posted By DJ Bean On March 3, 2011 @ 9:28 pm In General | No Comments
Milan Lucic  kept up his recent hot streak and improved the Bruins’ win streak to seven games by scoring the game-winning goal at 16:18 of the third in a 2-1 victory over the Lightning at TD Garden.
Lucic, who had eight points over the B’s recent six-game road trip, fired a wrist shot past both a mess of bodies and Lightning goaltender Mike Smith at an odd angle to give him his 28th goal of the season and the Bruins a big victory. With the win, the Bruins now lead the Lightning by two points for second place in the Eastern Conference.
Eric Brewer opened the scoring in the game, beating Tim Thomas  at 4:04 of the second for his ninth goal of the season. Steven Kampfer responded with his his fifth of the season at 6:06. Kampfer would later take a big hit in the corner from Mattias Ritola and not return to the game.
Thomas made 27 saves and picked up the victory, improving to 29-8-6 on the season.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Kampfer did a good job of both redeeming himself and scoring his first goal in quite a while. After his turnover in the Bruins’ zone led to Brewer’s goal, he responded in short order by beating Smith with a snapshot from the point to tie the score at one. It was Kampfer’s fifth goal of the season, and first since Jan. 13. His status after leaving the game, however, is unclear.
– It was a good home debut for Rich Peverley  and Chris Kelly , both of whom have been able to strike up good chemistry on their line with Michael Ryder . Both Kelly and Peverley, donning home sweaters for the first time at TD Garden, were credited with a helper on Kampfer’s goal and were a plus-1 on the night.
– Johnny Boychuk  was crushing people. He laid a huge hip check on Nate Thompson in the third and followed it up with a big hit in the corner on Blair Jones.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– When things get chippy between the Bruins and their opponents, the obvious way to settle it is by dropping the gloves. The Lightning aren’t that kind of team (they’re 27th in the league in major penalties while the B’s are 4th), and it seemed the only way the B’s could find a fight was to wind up shorthanded. That was the case in the second period, when a Nathan Horton  trip and Lucic roughing penalty resulted in Lucic dropping the gloves with Brewer. The B’s wound up having to kill a 5-on-3, but they did so successfully.
– Once again, the power play looked very good despite the fact that it didn’t get results. Still, sooner or later, results are how that facet must be judged. The B’s were 0-for-3 on the man advantage Thursday, and they’re now 1-for-16 since acquiring Tomas Kaberle , who looked good in keeping the puck in during Brewer’s high sticking penalty but also sent the puck out with a blind pass. Still, the unit appeared to be vastly improved, and it’s hard to imagine results not coming in the near future.
– Smith entered the game with a 3.20 goals against average, but he sure didn’t play like it. The Lightning netminder came up with huge saves throughout the night, robbing Patrice Bergeron  in the first, Horton on a breakaway in the second and Brad Marchand  in the slot in the third.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/03/03/milan-lucic-plays-hero-in-win-over-lightning/
URLs in this post:
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Rich Peverley: http://media.weei.com/hockey/rich-peverley.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://media.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Michael Ryder: http://media.weei.com/hockey/michael-ryder.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://media.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Tomas Kaberle: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tomas-kaberle.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 > Milan Lucic plays hero in win over Lightning" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/03/03/milan-lucic-plays-hero-in-win-over-lightning/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.