- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Canadiens gain ground as Bruins lose in Montreal
Posted By DJ Bean On March 8, 2011 @ 10:11 pm In General | No Comments
The Bruins were beaten handily Tuesday night, dropping a 4-1 contest to the Canadiens and losing their captain for the third period at the Bell Centre .
Canadiens forward Lars Eller scored two goals in the first period, with Brian Gionta and James Wisniewski adding power play goals in the second period. Eller entered the game with five goals through 61 games this season.
A very scary moment came with 15.8 seconds remaining in the second period, when Zdeno Chara  finished a check along the boards on Montreal forward Max Pacioretty . The 22-year-old hit the glassed area between benches before falling to the ice, remaining motionless as he was placed on a stretcher. Chara was given a five-minute major for interference, as well as a game misconduct. Pacioretty was reportedly able to move his extremities after leaving for the hospital.
Tuukka Rask  took the loss for the Bruins, losing his first game since Feb. 11. He allowed four goals on 24 shots.
The Bruins are now 1-3-1 against the rival Canadiens this season and 0-2-1 in games played at the Bell Centre. With the win, the Canadiens are now just three points behind the Bruins for the Northeast Division lead.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- Pacioretty has used multiple occasions this season to establish himself as a villain in the eyes of Bruins fans, but the scene at the end of the period is as scary as it gets, regardless of who you root for. It’s hard to tell whether Chara, whose past dealings with the Habs’ agitator led to natural speculation following the hit, meant to go after Pacioretty, but the B’s captain has never been a dirty player. The guess here is that he wasn’t trying to start Tuesday.
- Brad Marchand  had a chance to get the Bruins on the board earlier in the third period on a penalty shot after a trip from Roman Hamrlik, but was stopped after going low on Price. The B’s young winger also had an opportunity when Price dropped a puck right in front of him with the B’s killing a Tyler Seguin  penalty in the first period.
- Adam McQuaid and Nathan Horton , both of whom entreated the game top five in plus/minus, both posted a minus-1 after being on the ice for Eller’s first goal. Of course, it was hard for Bruins players to not end up with a negative rating on a night like Tuesday. McQuaid and Horton entered the night first and fourth in the league with a plus-27 and plus-25, respectively.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Lucic is now one goal away from 30 goals in a season in which he hoped for 20. He took a nice pass from Krejci to get the Bruins on the board in the third period, and both players now have 12 points in their last nine games.
- The B’s once again went scoreless on the power play, making it 1-for-21 since Tomas Kaberle  joined the team. The positive in that is that the four power plays were the most they’ve had since Kaberle’s first game with the team, when the B’s had five against the Senators on Feb. 18. Again, they still haven’t scored since that day.
- Kaberle isn’t known for shooting, and he proved it by totaling just five shots on goal over his first eight games with the B’s. His three shots on goal Tuesday were the most he’s posted as a member of the Bruins.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/03/08/canadiens-gain-ground-as-bruins-lose-in-montreal/
URLs in this post:
 Bell Centre: http://media.weei.com/hockey/bell-centre.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Carey Price: http://media.weei.com/hockey/carey-price.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Max Pacioretty: http://media.weei.com/hockey/max-pacioretty.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Tomas Kaberle: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tomas-kaberle.htm
 > Canadiens gain ground as Bruins lose in Montreal" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/03/08/canadiens-gain-ground-as-bruins-lose-in-montreal/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.