- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Brad Boyes burns Bruins in overtime
Posted By DJ Bean On March 10, 2011 @ 9:48 pm In General | No Comments
A couple of players with Boston ties burned the B’s in overtime, as former Bruin Brad Boyes took a pass from BC product Nathan Gerbe to beat Tim Thomas  for a 4-3 Sabres win with 1:16 remaining.
Zdeno Chara , who has been a popular topic of discussion in the last two days, had two assists for the B’s, who have now gone three games without a win (0-1-2).
The Sabres received their regulation scoring from Tyler Ennis, Thomas Vanek and Tim Connolly. Goaltender Ryan Miller  made 42 saves in the victory.
The Bruins will follow Thursday’s loss by heading to Long Island for a bout with the Islanders.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– The Sabres had two separate two-man advantages on the night, and the B’s were only able to kill off the first one, which lasted 30 seconds in the second period.
The second one proved more challenging. With Mark Recchi already in the box for high-sticking, Brad Marchand  was the victim of a bad (and late) tripping call. The Sabres had 1:44 of a 5-on-3 to deal with, and Tim Connolly put home a rebound with 20 seconds remaining on Recchi’s penalty.
The Sabres would go 2-for-7 on the power play on the night, as Vanek’s goal came with Johnny Boychuk  in the box in the second period.
– The Bruins blew a two different leads, one of which was of two-gaol variety. With the B’s leading, 2-0, in the second, Ennis scored just 27 seconds after Recchi’s goal, and Vanek made it a tie game about eight minutes later. Less than minutes after Campbell gave the Bruins a 3-2 lead, Connolly returned the game to a tie.
– The B’s had just seven shots on goal in both the second and third periods after having 15 in the first. Shots on goal can be an overrated statistic at times, but its easy to blow leads when you’re not getting pucks to the net.
– While Chara’s production was strong in the game, he was the recipient of a very questionable boarding call on Steve Montador. What will this mean to the criminal investigation?
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– The David Krejci  line remains red hot. Both Milan Lucic  and Krejci have 13 points in their last 10 games, as well as four-game point-streaks. Horton, meanwhile, has five goals in his last nine games. The Bruins will need their top line producing like this come the playoffs, so their stellar play and production over the last few weeks is a very good sign.
– It was a good debut production-wise for the new line of Recchi, Chris Kelly  and Michael Ryder . Recchi scored his first goal in nine games, a tally that was assisted by Ryder, but that Chara largely set up with an aggressive pinch down low.
– Timely scoring from Gregory Campbell this season, as he came up big back in November to send the game vs. the Blues to overtime. The Merlot Line center’s 10th of the season was a big one as well, as it gave the B’s the lead in the third.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/03/10/brad-boyes-burns-bruins-in-overtime/
URLs in this post:
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Mark Recchi: http://media.weei.com/hockey/mark-recchi.htm
 Gregory Campbell: http://media.weei.com/hockey/gregory-campbell.htm
 Ryan Miller: http://media.weei.com/hockey/ryan-miller.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://media.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://media.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Michael Ryder: http://media.weei.com/hockey/michael-ryder.htm
 > Brad Boyes burns Bruins in overtime" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/03/10/brad-boyes-burns-bruins-in-overtime/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.