- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Maple Leafs crush Bruins in Toronto
Posted By DJ Bean On March 19, 2011 @ 9:46 pm In General | No Comments
Tim Thomas , who allowed four goals on the night, was pulled in the second period, but returned to start the third. The Leafs got goals from Luke Schenn, Nazem Kadri, Joey Crabb, Mike Brown , and Keith Aulie. Thomas was yanked after Brown’s second-period goal, though Tuukka Rask  played only 11:42 before Thomas was reinserted between the pipes.
Adam McQuaid had the first Bruins goal, firing a puck off Toronto captain Dion Phaneuf’s skate to beat an otherwise outstanding James Reimer. Daniel Paille  scored with 19.8 seconds remaining in the game. The B’s went 0-for-2 on the power play, and have scored just two goals on the man advantage since acquiring Tomas Kaberle .
The Bruins have now lost six of their last seven games, going 1-3-3. They will return to TD Garden to face the Devils on Tuesday.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– Can’t help but wonder what the reasoning was behind putting Thomas back in net to start the third period after yanking him in the second. Rask did not appear to be a happy camper after Dennis Seidenberg  screened him on Aulie’s goal, though Claude Julien  said after the game that the decision had nothing to do with it. Julien’s plan could be to use Rask against the Devils on Tuesday, so perhaps he was just trying to preserve him after playing him last two games.
– Overall it was a tremendously uninspired effort for the Bruins. Too many odd man rushes did them in, and it wasn’t as though they were getting beaten by a bunch of elite scorers. None of the five players to score for the Leafs had more than three goals entering the game.
– When the Bruins stumbled in the three games (0-1-2) following their seven-game win-streak, it seemed the road would be a good place to get back on track. Instead of finding their way, the B’s continued their skid on a four-game road trip that produced just one win. Eight of their final 11 games will be played at home, so they’ll try to straighten things out a the Garden after a very unsuccessful road trip.
– The seven-game point streak for David Krejci  has come to an end. He had 3-6-9 totals over his last seven contests.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Schenn didn’t make McQuaid look very good on the game’s first goal, so it was good to see the rookie blueliner make up for it with his second goal of the season. On any other night, getting beaten for a goal and scoring a goal doesn’t make for a standout performance, but there was little to like from the Bruins’ standpoint Saturday.
– People get ahead of themselves when it comes to Tyler Seguin  and whether he deserves more playing time, but he was a rare bright spot for the Bruins on an otherwise very ugly night. Reimer robbed the rookie a number of times, but Seguin didn’t need to score to stand out amongst an unproductive Boston bunch.
– This speaks to how bad things were, but Johnny Boychuk , Zdeno Chara , Krejci and the Merlot Line can pat themselves on the back knowing that they were the only two Bruins skaters to not finish the night with a negative rating.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/03/19/maple-leafs-crush-bruins-in-toronto/
URLs in this post:
 Maple Leafs: http://media.weei.com/hockey/toronto-maple-leafs.htm
 Air Canada Centre: http://media.weei.com/basketball/air-canada-centre.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Mike Brown: http://media.weei.com/football/mike-brown.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://media.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 Tomas Kaberle: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tomas-kaberle.htm
 Dennis Seidenberg: http://media.weei.com/hockey/dennis-seidenberg.htm
 Claude Julien: http://media.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://media.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 > Maple Leafs crush Bruins in Toronto" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/03/19/maple-leafs-crush-bruins-in-toronto/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.