- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Henrik Lundqvist blanks Bruins
Posted By DJ Bean On March 26, 2011 @ 3:23 pm In General | 2 Comments
The Bruins failed to keep up the momentum from Thursday night’s win over the Canadiens, as they dropped a 1-0 game to the Rangers Saturday at TD Garden.
Derek Stepan redirected a Michael Sauer shot past Tuukka Rask  at 6:39 of the first period to give the Rangers the only goal they would need. In taking the loss, Rask fell to 10-13-2 on the season.
Henrik Lundqvist  picked up the victory for the Rangers, improving his league-leading shutout total to 11.
From Boston, the Bruins will travel to Philadelphia to face the Flyers on Sunday. Philadelphia is currently the top-seeded team in the Eastern Conference.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- The refs missed a pretty obvious offsides call prior to Stepan’s goal, and it proved to be the difference when all was said and done. Claude Julien  was furious on the bench, and rightfully so.
- The Bruins had only two power plays in the game, but the second came with less than 21 seconds remaining.The B’s have had six games this season with one power play or less, and have surprisingly gone 6-0-1 in such contests.
- These matinees at TD Garden simply have not been good to the Bruins this season. With Saturday’s loss, the B’s are now 1-3-0 in such games this season, taking losses to the Hurricanes, Penguins , Sharks and now Rangers.
- Brad Marchand  had a golden opportunity to both tie the game and get to 20 goals with a point-blank opportunity with plenty of open net in the final eight minutes of the game. He missed the net, however, in a play that generally summarized the Bruins’ day.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Despite that the Bruins could never really get any momentum going, the penalty kill came up all four times they were asked to in the game. Chris Kelly  might not bring anything special to the table, but he has been solid on the PK since arriving.
- Rask was sound for the B’s in a game in which few of his teammates were. There’s been a season-long trend of the B’s not playing well, and it could be coming back up. Rask has won only one of his last four starts, though he allowed four goals in two of the contests.
- The improved play without production continues for Tyler Seguin . The rookie led all Bruins forwards with four shots on goal. The face that he and Dennis Seidenberg  (5 SOG) were the only Bruins with more than three on the day shows that this might belong in the “What went wrong” section.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/03/26/henrik-lundqvist-blanks-bruins/
URLs in this post:
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Henrik Lundqvist: http://media.weei.com/hockey/henrik-lundqvist.htm
 Claude Julien: http://media.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 Penguins: http://media.weei.com/hockey/pittsburgh-penguins.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://media.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Dennis Seidenberg: http://media.weei.com/hockey/dennis-seidenberg.htm
 > Henrik Lundqvist blanks Bruins" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/03/26/henrik-lundqvist-blanks-bruins/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.