- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins aren’t only team coming off a big win as Blackhawks come to town
Posted By DJ Bean On March 29, 2011 @ 4:04 am In General | 1 Comment
This time of year, some teams are already eliminated or close to it, and getting two points on a particular night is no longer a top priority. That’s why the Bruins’ recent schedule has made for some very interesting hockey. The B’s last six games have been against teams either in the playoffs or competing for a spot. Tuesday should feature another very intriguing matchup, as both the B’s and Blackhawks are coming off big victories that teams try to build momentum off of, especially given that the playoffs are just a couple of weeks away.
The Blackhawks are coming off an overtime win against Detroit Monday night in which former Red Wing Marian Hossa buried the game-winner on the power play. Chicago is eighth in the Western Conference, so they have every reason to bring everything they can Tuesday.
The Bruins, of course, are coming off a 2-1 victory in Philadelphia that saw both the appearance of a successful power play (2-for-3) and the return of Brad Marchand ‘s scoring, as he picked up the game-winner for his 20th goal of the season and first strike in 13 games.
WHERE IT’S AT
– The Bruins are 18-12-5 at TD Garden this season, and it’s been a mixed bag for the B’s at home of late. After a huge 7-0 win over the Canadiens Thursday, the B’s struggled to get shots past Rangers bodies and on netminder Henrik Lundqvist  Saturday.
– Chicago has won its last two road games after dropping the previous four. The Blackhawks haven’t been to the Garden since last season, when they took a 5-2 victory on Jan. 7.
If there’s one thing the Blackhawks are capable of, it is taking an opponent to overtime while playing on the road. The Blackhawks have gone into overtime 10 times on the road this season and have a league-high eight overtime/shootout losses on the road. Their overall record on the road is 18-11-8.
– The third line of Chris Kelly  between Tyler Seguin  and Rich Peverley  has looked good, but it has not produced. Seguin has just one goal in his last 14 games (dating back to before the line was in existence), while both Kelly and Peverley have totaled zero points and each have a minus-3 rating over their last five contests.
– The Blackhawks’ 3.13 goals per game on the road is second only to the Red Wings for tops in the NHL . The Red Wings certainly helped that number when they put six goals past Bruins goaltenders at TD Garden back on February 11, to the B’s will have to hope the Blackhawks don’t do the same.
– Tim Thomas  has a bit more breathing room for the league lead in goals against average and save percentage. Thomas has led both categories since the second game of the season, but came one hundredth of a goal from being tied with Pekka Rinne after last Saturday’s loss to the Maple Leafs. After allowing just one goal over his last two starts, Thomas is now a tenth of a goal ahead of Rinne with a 2.00 GAA.
– Milan Lucic  has zero shots on goal over the last two games, while his center in David Krejci  has totaled one over the same span. Despite leading the Bruins with 30 goals, Lucic is fourth on the B’s in shots on goal with 160. He’s far enough behind the likes of Zdeno Chara , Patrice Bergeron  and Nathan Horton  that his three games missed don’t seem to play a huge factor in the statistic.
STORYLINES GOING IN
– Will Michael Ryder  be a healthy scratch in consecutive games for the first time all season? Ryder watched Sunday’s game from the press box while Daniel Paille  got in the lineup for the Bruins. If Ryder does return, it will likely be on Gregory Campbell ‘s line.
-The Blackhawks know they need to keep the pedal to the medal after their win against Detroit. After Tuesday, the eighth-place Blackhawks will have played two more games than the Stars, who trail them by four points. This should mean the Bruins could see a very hungry team.
Not exactly a storyline related to this game, but if you have the NHL  Center Ice package, it might be worth it to check out the Penguins-Flyers game during commercials. Despite a rut in February, the Sidney Crosby  and Evgeni Malkin-less Penguins  have been able to get the job done so well that a victory in regulation would give them as many points as the Flyers at 100. If the Penguins hope to take the division they’ll have to finish with more points than Philadelphia, as the Flyers hold the tiebreaker with less overtime/shootout wins.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/03/29/bruins-arent-only-team-coming-off-a-big-win-as-blackhawks-come-to-town/
URLs in this post:
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Henrik Lundqvist: http://media.weei.com/hockey/henrik-lundqvist.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://media.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Rich Peverley: http://media.weei.com/hockey/rich-peverley.htm
 NHL: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nhl.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Michael Ryder: http://media.weei.com/hockey/michael-ryder.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://media.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 Gregory Campbell: http://media.weei.com/hockey/gregory-campbell.htm
 NHL: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nhl-hockey.htm
 Sidney Crosby: http://media.weei.com/hockey/sidney-crosby.htm
 Penguins: http://media.weei.com/hockey/pittsburgh-penguins.htm
 > Bruins aren’t only team coming off a big win as Blackhawks come to town" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/03/29/bruins-arent-only-team-coming-off-a-big-win-as-blackhawks-come-to-town/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.