Zdeno Chara and Johnny Boychuk give Bruins 2-0 lead
|03.29.11 at 9:13 pm ET|
The defensemen came through for the Bruins in the second period, as the B’s lead the Blackhawks, 2-0, on goals from Zdeno Chara and Johnny Boychuk.
Chara fired a wrist shot at a crowded net, and the puck deflected off Chicago defenseman Brian Campbell before sailing past Corey Crawford at 12:02 for his 14th on the season. Just 2:20 later, Mark Recchi dropped a puck off for Boychuk, who beat Crawford from the point. Boychuk now has three goals on the season.
With the assist on Boychuk’s goal, Recchi surpassed Paul Coffey for 12th place in career regular season points with 1,532. Recchi is now 12th all-time.
Shawn Thornton left the ice after being cut above the eye with a skate. He was visibly furious, shoving referee Don VanMassenhoven in an attempt to get to players chirping from the Chicago bench as he skated off.
The Bruins are outshooting the Blackhawks by a 30-17 margin.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Do the Bruins Need to Make Major Change on Defense Before 2014-15?
- Should the Bruins Re-Sign Shawn Thornton?
- Bruins Prospects Look to Preserve Their AHL Playoff Run
- Complete Guide to Bruins' 2014 Offseason
- Final Report Card for Bruins' 2013-14 Season
- Game 6 Keys for Bruins, Canadiens
- Takeaways from Canadiens vs. Bruins Game 5