- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins need at least three points to catch Flyers/Penguins
Posted By DJ Bean On April 8, 2011 @ 10:23 pm In General | 2 Comments
Thomas Vanek scored 1:16 into overtime to give the Sabres a 4-3 victory over the Flyers Friday. The Bruins probably wish he did it about 1:17 earlier.
With the Flyers picking up one point in the game, they improved to 104 on the season after 81 games. With one game remaining, they control their destiny as far as the No. 2 seed goes, though only a tie-breaker separates the Penguins  (shootout win Friday, 104 total points) from snagging the Atlantic Division . A Flyers’ win over the Islanders Saturday means the second seed is all theirs. A loss or a tie, and the Bruins could still be in the picture. This, of course, is assuming the B’s can take care of business against the Senators.
With one game remaining for the Flyers and two left for the Bruins it all comes down to this: If the Bruins can finish the season with as many or more points than the Flyers and Penguins, they’ll be in via the tie-breaker (regulation and overtime wins). To spell it out even more, here are the scenarios:
FLYERS GET NO. 2 SEED IF:
– Flyers beat Islanders Saturday.
– Flyers lose in overtime/shootout Saturday AND Bruins lose or both remaining games.
– Flyers lose in overtime/shootout Saturday AND Bruins win one game and lose the other in overtime/shootout in the other.
PENGUINS GET NO. 2 SEED IF:
– Islanders beat Flyers in regulation or shootout/overtime Saturday AND Penguins beat Thrashers Sunday.
– Islanders beat Flyers in regulation Saturday AND Thrashers beat Penguins in overtime/shootout AND Bruins win one game and lose the other in overtime/shootout.
– Islanders beat Flyers in regulation Saturday AND Thrashers beat Penguins in overtime/shootout AND Bruins don’t win both both remaining games.
BRUINS GET NO. 2 SEED IF:
– Islanders beat Flyers in regulation or overtime Saturday AND Penguins lose in regulation or overtime AND Bruins beat Senators Saturday and Devils Sunday.
– Islanders beat Flyers in regulation Saturday AND Penguins lose in regulation AND Bruins win one game and lose the other in overtime/shootout.
Montreal and Buffalo each have 94 points through 81 games. Since Montreal has 40 regulation and overtime wins (ROW) to Buffalo’s 37, the Habs currently hold the sixth seed while the Sabres are in seventh.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/04/08/bruins-need-at-least-three-points-to-catch-flyers/
URLs in this post:
 Penguins: http://media.weei.com/hockey/pittsburgh-penguins.htm
 > Bruins need at least three points to catch Flyers/Penguins" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/04/08/bruins-need-at-least-three-points-to-catch-flyers/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.