- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins beat Senators, Tim Thomas breaks save percentage record
Posted By DJ Bean On April 9, 2011 @ 3:37 pm In General | No Comments
The Bruins held fan appreciation day at the Garden Saturday and made sure they delivered a win to the home crowd, beating the Senators, 3-1.
Claude Julien  said following the game that Tuukka Rask  would play in the regular-season finale Sunday, meaning Tim Thomas  has set the NHL  record for save percentage in a single season. By finishing the game with a .9381 mark, he surpassed Dominik Hasek’s .9366 save percentage in 1998-99. The stat first began being recorded in the 1982-83 season.
Marlborough native Bobby Butler scored the Senators’ only goal, beating Thomas at 18:27 of the first period.
With the win Saturday, the B’s are still alive to potentially take the second seed in the Eastern Conference, though they will need a combination of one or two points Sunday vs. the Devils and for the Penguins  and Flyers to lose their final games in regulation or in overtime/shootout fashion.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Thomas’ performance this season has been nothing short of magnificent, so it’s fitting that he be remembered for it in the record books. It was just months ago that Tuukka Rask was the obvious choice to begin the season as the B’s starter. Ever since Thomas was given the second start of the season in Prague, he’s taken the opportunity and run to what should be his second Vezina Trophy.
– By playing in Saturday’s game, Mark Recchi  moved past Chris Chelios  for fourth all-time. He has played in 1652, and it could take nearly another full season for him to catch Ron Francis ‘ 1731.
– Paille once again submitted a strong case to be in the lineup next week. His tally on Saturday was his fourth goal in the last eight games. Considering he had just two goals on the season prior to that stretch, it’s a good sign.
– Shawn Thornton  can hold his head high knowing he produced an even 20-point season offensively for the Bruins. His apple on Paille’s goal gave him 10 on the season to match his total of goals. This season has now produced career-highs in goals, assists and points. Thornton had never scored more than six goals in a season, though he did have nine helpers a year ago.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– While everyone was glad to see Horton score his 26th goal of the season, there was reason for concern when he left the ice following his second-period fight with Zack Smith. He would end up returning to the ice, but the last thing the Bruins would want would be for the hot-scoring Horton (six goals over his last nine games) to go down with an injury before the playoffs.
– While Paille may have cemented his suspected playing status for the beginning of the playoffs, Tyler Seguin  did not do anything to help his case. The rookie was placed in the lineup Saturday in place of Patrice Bergeron , but the game provided more cases of the 19-year-old shying away from contact. Seguin was a minus-1 on the day.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/04/09/bruins-beat-senators-tim-thomas-has-record-if-he-sits-sunday/
URLs in this post:
 Daniel Paille: http://media.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Rich Peverley: http://media.weei.com/hockey/rich-peverley.htm
 Claude Julien: http://media.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 NHL: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nhl.htm
 Penguins: http://media.weei.com/hockey/pittsburgh-penguins.htm
 Mark Recchi: http://media.weei.com/hockey/mark-recchi.htm
 Chris Chelios: http://media.weei.com/hockey/chris-chelios.htm
 Ron Francis: http://media.weei.com/hockey/ron-francis.htm
 Shawn Thornton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/shawn-thornton.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 > Bruins beat Senators, Tim Thomas breaks save percentage record" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/04/09/bruins-beat-senators-tim-thomas-has-record-if-he-sits-sunday/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.