- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins-Lightning Game 3 preview
Posted By DJ Bean On May 19, 2011 @ 2:10 am In General | No Comments
TAMPA ‘ The Bruins can pick up their third straight road win and first series lead of the Eastern Conference finals with a Game 3 win Thursday at St. Pete Times Forum. The B’s might have momentum on their side, as they took a high-scoring contest Tuesday in defeating Tampa, 6-5. With the number three in mind, here’s a preview of Thursday’s game:
Three things the Bruins need to do:
– Keep Ryding the hot duo: Whether or not Patrice Bergeron  returns to the lineup, any shakeup should not include a separation of Tyler Seguin  and Michael Ryder . The two have totaled five goals thus far in the series, and their chemistry is evident. The Lightning will try to be more physical to knock the rookie off his game, but Seguin simply needs to show that these games have given him more confidence. Expect him to stay with Ryder and Chris Kelly  in Game 3.
– Extend the power play success: Who said this team stunk on the man advantage? Two goals in Game 2 (one of which came with one second remaining after the team failed to score on a 5-on-3) matched their postseason production on the power play entering the night, and there are certainly encouraging nights. Tomas Kaberle  played better on the man advantage Tuesday, while Seguin was finally given the opportunity to contribute on special teams and did.
- Tighten it up: As much as Bruins fans can get on board with watching Tim Thomas  come up big on multiple breakaway bids, the B’s would just rather they not happen at all. The Bruins could have had a much better defensive effort on Tuesday, and correcting it will lower the number of quality opportunities for the Lightning.
Three crazy stats:
– By scoring three goals on Dwayne Roloson Tuesday, the Bruins bumped the Lightning netminder out of the top spot in postseason goals against average and save percentage. The leader in both those categories now? Carey Price , who posted a 2.11 GAA and .934 in the first round against the B’s.
– The Bruins are 0-2 in games this postseason in which Nathan Horton  fails to register a shot on goal. They’re 9-2 when he has at least one. Horton leads the B’s with 13 points, and his 34 shots on goal are second to Bergeron among forwards.
Three key players:
– Patrice Bergeron: As fun as the Seguin Show was to watch on Tuesday, the Bruins aren’t kidding themselves here. They need Bergeron back, and after taking contact he could return to the lineup for one of the games in Tampa. Whether that happens remains to be seen.
– Dwayne Roloson: The Tampa goaltender was not as bad as the numbers were on Tuesday, but it will be interesting to see how he responds to being chased for the first time this postseason.
– Johnny Boychuk : The 27-year-old has goals in two of his last three games, but he was positively wretched in Game 2. Boychuk’s sloppiness resulted in a minus-3 rating that would have been worse had the puck he accidentally banked off the skate of Kaberle in front of the net gone in. He ended up playing only 16:06, his lowest time on ice total this postseason.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/05/19/bruinslightning-game-3-preview/
URLs in this post:
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Michael Ryder: http://media.weei.com/hockey/michael-ryder.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://media.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Tomas Kaberle: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tomas-kaberle.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Carey Price: http://media.weei.com/hockey/carey-price.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Mark Recchi: http://media.weei.com/hockey/mark-recchi.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://media.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 > Bruins-Lightning Game 3 preview" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/05/19/bruinslightning-game-3-preview/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.