Green Men’s Sully on D&C: ‘We took a couple of threats’ during Game 3
|06.08.11 at 10:02 am ET|
The Green Man who goes by the moniker Sully checked in with the Dennis & Callahan show Wednesday morning to discuss his experiences with Bruins fans at TD Garden in Game 3 Monday night. To hear the interview, go to the Dennis & Callahan audio on demand page.
Sully and his compatriot Force were up all night after going to Yankee Stadium to cheer on the Red Sox Tuesday night. The duo did not don their Green Men bodysuits in New York, taking a day off after the intensity of Monday night.
Despite having a few run-ins, Sully said he’s been pleased with Boston fans. “It was kind of a mixed bag [Monday],” he said. “I’d say about 90 percent of the people were just awesome and really took to us. The other 10 percent were kind of the guys that had a couple too many beverages and were not too cool with it.
“Probably the most unfortunate part was, right after the Aaron Rome hit, we took a couple of threats from a couple of rows down. And there was a family right in front of us. The dad was covering the kids’ ears. I felt really bad about that.”
Sully admitted that it probably was better for the Green Men’s well-being that the Bruins won the game after the violent hit that knocked out Nathan Horton. “That just turned up the loyalty even more with these fans,” he said. “And obviously turned them against us even more, it seems. So, I don’t think the Green Men could have won at all [Monday] night, whether the Canucks won or the Bruins won.”
Despite the threats, Sully said there was only one incident of physical contact. “I was walking to the concession and I took a bit of a shove,” he said. “But that’s fine. It’s playoff time. You’ve got to deal with these things.”
Added Sully: “On the way out we had like a police escort. It was pretty crazy. We didn’t arrange that. It felt like Obama getting out of the stadium, with police all over the place.”
The Green Men will be back at the Garden for Game 4 Wednesday night, and Sully said they now have a better understanding of what to expect from Bruins fans. “For the most part, everybody in Boston’s pretty cool,” he said. “We didn’t get any debris thrown down at us. It was pretty good to see. We were wondering what the reaction was like, and now we know. Boston, you guys are serious about your hockey. You guys are passionate. It’s great to see.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Brad Marchand's Hot Streak a Big Reason for the Boston Bruins' Recent...
- Prospect Depth Allows BOS to Not Rush Pastrnak
- Seth Griffith Fitting in on the First Line with the Boston Bruins
- Bruins' Depleted Defense Returns to Reality in Loss to Wild
- Bruins' Patrice Bergeron Records 500th Career Point
- Bruins Players Dress Up as 'Frozen' Characters
- Looking at Bruins Defensive Pairings Without Chara