Game 7 countdown, 11 a.m.: Bruins look to Pittsburgh for motivation
|06.15.11 at 11:15 am ET|
The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review notes that only three road teams in any North American professional sport have won a Game 7 over the past four decades. Those teams all have come from Pittsburgh.
The Pirates have two Game 7 wins on road. In 1971 they defeated the Orioles, 2-1, in Baltimore. In 1979 the Pirates also faced the Orioles in the World Series. The Pirates also won that series in seven games, with the seventh game being played in Baltimore. The Pirates won by a score of 4-1.
Most recently, the Penguins won Game 7 on the road to capture the 2009 Stanley Cup. They defeated the Red Wings, 2-1. That series went exactly the same way the Bruins-Canucks series has gone so far, with the home team winning every game, until Game 7 when the Penguins finally won on the opposing team’s ice.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Brad Marchand's Hot Streak a Big Reason for the Boston Bruins' Recent...
- Prospect Depth Allows BOS to Not Rush Pastrnak
- Seth Griffith Fitting in on the First Line with the Boston Bruins
- Bruins' Depleted Defense Returns to Reality in Loss to Wild
- Bruins' Patrice Bergeron Records 500th Career Point
- Bruins Players Dress Up as 'Frozen' Characters
- Looking at Bruins Defensive Pairings Without Chara