Peter Chiarelli says Bruins still in contact with Tomas Kaberle
|07.01.11 at 6:02 pm ET|
Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said in a conference call Friday that he has remained in contact with Tomas Kaberle‘s camp about potentially bringing the free agent defenseman back to Boston.
“I’ve had a few discussions today with him, and that’s where I’ll leave it, but I have had a couple discussions,” Chiarelli said. “Again, I’m not ruling out re-signing Tomas.”
While Michael Ryder left the team to take a two-year deal in Dallas, Kaberle has remained on the market despite being the top defenseman available. Christian Ehrhoff and James Wisniewski signed with the Sabres and Blue Jackets, respectively, before free agency opened, while Ed Jovanovski took a deal to go back to Florida Friday.
Chiarelli told both Kaberle and Ryder prior to free agency to test the market, and that they would keep in contact. Chiarelli said that if Kaberle accepts a deal elsewhere without consulting the B’s, he is prepared for such a scenario.
As for whether there could be another signing in the immediate future, Chiarelli didn’t see anything coming in the next however many hours.
“We’re still talking to a couple players,” Chiarelli, who later clarified his statement to say Kaberle was one of them, said. “I don’t see anything imminent in the next evening or day, but that’s about all I can tell you right now.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Brad Marchand's Hot Streak a Big Reason for the Boston Bruins' Recent...
- Prospect Depth Allows BOS to Not Rush Pastrnak
- Seth Griffith Fitting in on the First Line with the Boston Bruins
- Bruins' Depleted Defense Returns to Reality in Loss to Wild
- Bruins' Patrice Bergeron Records 500th Career Point
- Bruins Players Dress Up as 'Frozen' Characters
- Looking at Bruins Defensive Pairings Without Chara