|Bruins give Adam McQuaid three-year extension||07.14.11 at 4:58 pm ET|
The Bruins announced Thursday that they have re-signed defenseman Adam McQuaid to a three-year extension. McQuaid, 24, was entering the final year of his current deal at a $600,000 salary ($575,000 cap hit) and was set to become a restricted free agent at season’s end.
Despite starting the season as the team’s seventh defenseman, injuries to various Bruins’ defensemen (starting with Johnny Boychuk) allowed McQuaid to work his way into the lineup last season, and his emergence as a safe defenseman with an edge (he finished second on the team with 12 fighting majors) made former first-round pick Mark Stuart expendable, and the B’s shipped Stuart to Atlanta on Feb. 18 in a deal that netted the B’s forward Rich Peverley.
The former second-round pick of the Blue Jackets had four goals and 12 assists for 16 points in his 67 games in the regular season. His plus-30 rating tied for fifth in the NHL.
The B’s also announced that they have signed forward Craig Cunningham to an entry-level deal and given defenseman Zach McKelvie a one-year deal.
- Chara owns, and is a fantastic captain
- Fresh Links: The Kids Are Alright Edition
- Friday Morning Skate: All Glory to the Hypno Claude
- Game 1 Gif Recap: Marchand, Big Z, and the Rookie D. Bruins win it in OT.
- Public Skate: Bruins vs. Rangers Game 1, Third Period
- Public Skate: Bruins vs. Rangers Game 1, Second Period
- Public Skate: Bruins vs. Rangers Game 1, 7:30PM ET