Andrew Ference not worried about who gets the vacant ‘A’
|09.16.11 at 2:58 pm ET|
Bruins defenseman Andrew Ference is a strong candidate (and, in one man’s opinion, the best candidate) to potentially wear the “A” that Mark Recchi wore for the Bruins last season. What does he think of joining captain Zdeno Chara and Patrice Bergeron as the letter-bearing Bruins?
“It’s not really on my radar,” Ference said.
Ference has certainly established a voice in the Bruins’ dressing room, but he’s happy that he’s on a team full of players who can be leaders. If he does end up getting the letter, Ference doesn’t planning how he approaches things.
“You see what Rex, how he wore it, and what he did with something like that. He didn’t go out of his way to try to be somebody he wasn’t,” he said. “I’ve mentioned that before with Zee, what a great leader he is because he just is himself. We have a group full of guys who have learned from Zee or Rex and learned those lessons, how Bergie carries himself.
“I think within the confines of the dressing room, I think we all know everybody has their own strengths of leadership, whether it’s by example or some guys are more vocal than others. So whether you have something on your jersey or not, I think you have a responsibility to add what you can to the dressing room. I don’t think it changes who you are or should be or anything like that. It just is what it is, and they’ve got to put it on somebody.”
- Monday Morning Skate: Survivor Alberta
- Dougie Hamilton headed back to Boston; Miller OK; could Boychuk be back?
- Bruins vs. Maple Leafs Recap: Bruins win 5-2, Kevan Miller scores first...
- Public Skate: Third Period, Bruins 3 Leafs 1
- Dougie Hamilton done for the night; Warsofsky incoming?
- Public Skate Second Period: Maple Leafs 1, Bruins 0
- Bruins vs. Leafs Complete Coverage