- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins take second preseason game, 6-3
Posted By DJ Bean On September 23, 2011 @ 9:30 pm In General | No Comments
Brad Marchand  showed Friday night that he can perform in the preseason, too.
The 23-year-old beat Islanders backup goalie Anders Nilsson of 8:17 of the third period to give the Bruins their first lead of the night, and it opened the door to a late surge that resulted in a 6-3 Bruins victory Friday at TD Garden. The B’s also got third-period goals from Johnny Boychuk  and Rich Peverley .
The Islanders jumped out to a 2-0 lead on a pair of goals from forward Dylan Reese from the right circle. The first goal came on their first shot of the game, with Tim Thomas  allowing two goals on six shots in the first period.
The Bruins would end up tying it up in the second period, as a power play goal from Krejci and a tally from Bergeron came just over a minute apart. The Islanders grabbed a 3-2 lead when Trevor Frischmon buried a rebound past Thomas late in the second period. With starting goalie Rick DiPietro being replaced by Nilsson to begin the third period, Dennis Seidenberg  made it 3-3 before Marchand scored the game-winner. Boychuk and Peverley would provide the insurance.
As the Bruins had planned, Thomas played the entire game. Here are some quick notes on the contest:
– Claude Julien  played the same second lien he did for a good chunk of the seventh game of the Eastern Conference finals, sticking Patrice Bergeron  between Brad Marchand and Rich Peverley. Peverley had a four-point night.
Before people start going crazy saying that needs to be the second line, here’s an early objection. There’s no doubt that Peverley complements the other two well, but if I’m the Bruins I make sure there’s no way Tyler Seguin  fits before I try anyone else in that spot. Playing with a guy like Bergeron might make Seguin demand a little more of himself, especially as far as going in the corners goes. Plus, with Seguin’s skill, he’ll eventually belong in the top six.
– Jared Knight had a wicked wrister that beat Nilsson but rang off the post with a little over 6:30 remaining in the game. He played on a line with Krejci and Milan Lucic  for the majority of the game.
– Benoit Pouliot played most of the game on a line with Alexander Khokhlachev and Lane MacDermid. The line was fairly sloppy, and late in the game Pouliot saw some time with Krejci and Lucic.
– A couple of Islanders with Boston ties had big nights. Reese played his college hockey at Harvard, while Burlington native and former Boston University star Jay Pandolfo had a secondary assist on the Islanders’ third goal.
– The Bruins’ power play went 2-for-6. Go nuts.
– How’s this for preseason hockey? Islanders coach Jack Capuano actually called a timeout in the midst of a four-shot second period for the Islanders after the Bruins had tied the game at two. For what it’s worth, the Islanders would end up scoring to take the lead.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/09/23/bruins-take-second-preseason-game-6-3/
URLs in this post:
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://media.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 Rich Peverley: http://media.weei.com/hockey/rich-peverley.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Dennis Seidenberg: http://media.weei.com/hockey/dennis-seidenberg.htm
 Claude Julien: http://media.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 > Bruins take second preseason game, 6-3" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/09/23/bruins-take-second-preseason-game-6-3/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.