- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins fall to Senators
Posted By DJ Bean On September 29, 2011 @ 9:25 pm In General | No Comments
David Rundblad beat Tim Thomas  on the power play with 4:01 remaining in regulation to give the Senators a 2-1 victory over the Bruins Thursday night.
The Bruins got on the board in the first period thanks to a power play goal from Milan Lucic . David Krejci  sent the puck to Nathan Horton  in the corner, who sent it in front of the net to Lucic, who slammed it home past Ottawa netminder Craig Anderson.
Daniel Alfredsson  scored the equalizer in the third period, breaking up Tim Thomas‘ shutout bid. Another Senators goal was disallowed when Colin Greening made contact with Thomas on the play.
The B’s will wrap up the preseason Saturday night in Bridgeport, Conn., against the Islanders.
Here are a few notes from the game:
– Steven Kampfer was the game’s injury casualty, as he fell awkwardly following a hit from Senators defenseman Jared Cowen along the boards. It seemed that Kampfer suffered some sort of lower-body injury, as he remained down on the ice before being helped off by teammates.
Kampfer’s regular season was ended by a knee injury in Providence last year.
– Staying on the subject of Kampfer and the seventh defense spot, Kampfer was on a pairing with Zdeno Chara , while Matt Bartkowski played with Adam McQuaid. Kampfer’s injury could play a factor in who opens the season in Boston.
– Ottawa had a hard time staying out of the box at points. The B’s went 1-for-6 on the power play and have scored power play goals in four straight preseason games.
– Thomas didn’t exactly face many challenges Thursday, as much of the action took place in the Ottawa zone. The Senators were beyond sloppy in the Bruins’ end at points, sending passes out of the zone frequently and failing to establish significant pressure. Thomas faced only 16 shots in his previous preseason start against the Islanders. He faced 20 on Thursday.
– Another game means more time for the Brad Marchand -Patrice Bergeron -Rich Peverley  line to jell. It appears the B’s are set on giving Mark Recchi ‘s old spot to Peverley, who played with the line at points in the postseason last year (most notably Game 7 s. the Lightning). The other obvious candidate for that spot, Tyler Seguin , was among the healthy scratches Thursday. Other healthy scratches included Max Sauve, Lane MacDermid, Shawn Thornton , Johnny Boychuk  and Dennis Seidenberg .
– The B’s used the first line of Krejci between Horton and Lucic along with Chara and Joe Corvo as the first power-play unit. It was that unit that yielded the Lucic goal, while the second unit consisted of Peverley, Bergeron, Marchand, Bartkowski and Kampfer. At times, Kampfer also saw time with the first unit in place of Corvo.
– Speaking of much of the action, Daniel Paille  seemed to be in the middle of everything throughout the night. Playing on a line with Campbell and Chris Clark, as well as on the power play, Paille had a few chances for the B’s despite registering just one shot on goal. That shot came on a third-period breakaway that was set up by Clark. He also took two penalties for the B’s.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/09/29/bruins-fall-to-senators/
URLs in this post:
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Daniel Alfredsson: http://media.weei.com/hockey/daniel-alfredsson.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Andrew Ference: http://media.weei.com/hockey/andrew-ference.htm
 Gregory Campbell: http://media.weei.com/hockey/gregory-campbell.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Rich Peverley: http://media.weei.com/hockey/rich-peverley.htm
 Mark Recchi: http://media.weei.com/hockey/mark-recchi.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Shawn Thornton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/shawn-thornton.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://media.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 Dennis Seidenberg: http://media.weei.com/hockey/dennis-seidenberg.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://media.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 > Bruins fall to Senators" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/09/29/bruins-fall-to-senators/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.