- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins’ early-season woes continue as they fall to Hurricanes
Posted By DJ Bean On October 12, 2011 @ 10:05 pm In General | 4 Comments
The Bruins’ comeback bid fell short Wednesday in Carolina as they fell, 3-2, to the Hurricanes. The defending champs are now 1-3-0 on the season.
Pitkanen opened the scoring 42 seconds into the second period when he beat Tim Thomas  from the faceoff circle on a power play. Stewart made it 2-0 3:42 into the third period before the 19-year-old Bruins center got the B’s on the board. Seguin scored his first goal of the season when he took a quick pass from Nathan Horton  in the neutral zone and beat Cam Ward  glove-side with a nearly impossible angle wrist shot from the right side. The assist was Horton’s first point of the 2011-12 campaign. The Hurricanes made it 3-1 when Jordan Caron couldn’t control a puck in front of Thomas’ net and Tlusty beat the Bruins’ netminder for his first goal of the season. Marchand brought the Bruins back within one with a shot that hit Ward on its way in.
The Bruins will next play the Blackhawks on Saturday in a matchup of the last two Stanley Cup  champions.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– That Tomas Kaberle  has a way of sticking it to his former team, as the veteran blue liner not only assisted a power play goal — something he failed to do consistently in Boston — but he actually shot the puck. Kaberle was infamous for his lack of shooting in Boston, and he had three shots on goal Wednesday, including a golden opportunity in the second period when Thomas stopped him point blank.
– The Bruins didn’t get a ton of close-range opportunities, and as a result, Hurricanes defenseman Bryan Allen had seven blocked shots on the night, six of which came in the game’s first 40 minutes.
– As unbelievable as it may sound, the Bruins are having issues on the power play. They had issues getting set up at points and only got seven shots through on their first five power plays. Though they scored on their first man advantage of the season against the Flyers, the B’s power play is now a dreadful 1-for-18 on the season.
– Adam McQuaid went down awkwardly and hit his head on the boards about eight minutes into the third period behind the Bruins’ net. He did not return to the ice and left the bench.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Seguin looked like he was capable of skating on the team’s first line, as he and Horton led the B’s in shots on goal through two periods. Seguin also played on the team’s top power play unit in Krejci’s absence. His willingness to not shy away from contact once again showed in a painful way, as he was housed in the offensive zone by Tim Gleason in the third period.
– Benoit Pouliot looks like a man trying to prove he’s better than his line’s other winger. With Krejci out, both Pouliot and Jordan Caron, who have been competing for a spot on the third line, played on Wednesday. Pouliot created a couple of turnovers in the first period and had a positive showing, though an attempt at a third takeaway late in the first period nearly cost the Bruins. Julien gave him shifts on the second line (Rich Peverley  went to the third line) in the third period.
– Don’t look now, but Nathan Horton now has four shots on goal this season thanks to three shots on goal Wednesday night. He played a more aggressive game Wednesday and was definitely playing with more intensity, but the Bruins’ first line woes are far from over. Horton still has zero points through four games this season.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/10/12/bruins-early-season-woes-continue-as-they-fall-to-hurricanes/
URLs in this post:
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Cam Ward: http://media.weei.com/hockey/cam-ward.htm
 Stanley Cup: http://media.weei.com/hockey/stanley-cup.htm
 Tomas Kaberle: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tomas-kaberle.htm
 Rich Peverley: http://media.weei.com/hockey/rich-peverley.htm
 > Bruins’ early-season woes continue as they fall to Hurricanes" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/10/12/bruins-early-season-woes-continue-as-they-fall-to-hurricanes/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.