- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins score for Tuukka Rask, get out of last place
Posted By DJ Bean On November 7, 2011 @ 9:29 pm In General | No Comments
The Bruins are out of last place in the Eastern Conference as they beat the Islanders, 6-2, at TD Garden Monday night. It was the B’s third straight victory.
The Bruins scored two goals in under an minute on two separate occasions Monday, with Nathan Horton  and Tyler Seguin  scoring 29 seconds apart in the first period, and Milan Lucic  and Horton burying two in quick fashion in the third period. Benoit Pouliot opened the scoring for the Bruins in the first period, sending in the rebound from a Jordan Caron shot and picking up his first goal as a member of the Bruins.
Horton had a three point night for the B’s, scoring two of his own and assisting Milan Lucic’s tally. David Krejci , who added an empty-netter late, also had a three-point game.
The win was Tuukka Rask’s first of the season, with the 24-year-old having better luck than Islanders starter Evgeni Nabokov. The veteran goalie was yanked after Seguin’s goal in favor of Al Montoya.
The B’s will next play Thursday when they host the Islanders.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Pouliot and Caron both got their first points of the season, as Caron’s assist from the game against the Senators was taken away. In Pouliot’s case, the goal gives him more of a case to potentially stay in the lineup. Pouliot was playing Monday in place of the injured Rich Peverley , and it seems that Caron had his spot in the lineup sewn up due to his improved play of late. If Pouliot can show up on the score sheet more often, perhaps there will be more of a competition between he and Caron, and that would be a good problem for the Bruins to have.
– Horton knew he had to better than he’d been playing, and a three-point night was a good place for him to start Monday. Horton notched his first tally of the night on a wrister from just inside the circle by the hashmarks — an area where he’s been so dangerous in the past — and added his second by banging home a rebound in front of Al Montoya. The Islanders net-minder came too far out to cut down the angle with Horton and Lucic on a give-and-go right after, so Horton made the easy play to set up Lucic’s tally.
– By scoring six goals Monday, the B’s tripled their previous total of three goals scored in front of Tuukka Rask all season. Rask’s been a hard-luck loser in too many contests over th last couple of seasons, so perhaps getting some support and a victory (his record now stands at 1-3-0 on the season) can help the confidence of the young netminder.
– A few streaks were extended for the Bruins. Milan Lucic has a four-game goal streak, while Patrice Bergeron’s point streak is at seven games and Seguin’s is at four games.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– The Bruins lost Daniel Paille  for the game when the fourth-line winger took a snapshot from Steve Staois to the face. He remained down on the ice by the Bruins bench for a minute or two before getting up and revealing a small pool of blood beneath him.
– Seguin gets to show up in both sections tonight based on the fact that he had a ton of opportunities that didn’t end up in the back of the net. Among them were a give-and-go with Marchand in which he wound up with a bad angle by the time he got the puck on his forehand, and another play in which he was past the net by the time he’d received a pass from Marchand. Neither of those plays were his fault, but he was just a split second here and there from potentially having his second consecutive hat trick.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/11/07/bruins-score-for-tuukka-rask-get-out-of-last-place/
URLs in this post:
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Rich Peverley: http://media.weei.com/hockey/rich-peverley.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://media.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 > Bruins score for Tuukka Rask, get out of last place" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/11/07/bruins-score-for-tuukka-rask-get-out-of-last-place/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.