- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Benoit Pouliot the hero as Bruins win sixth straight
Posted By DJ Bean On November 15, 2011 @ 9:35 pm In General | No Comments
The Bruins needed someone to play hero late in the third period Tuesday. If you thought that would be Benoit Pouliot, you’re a liar. Pouliot, who was a healthy scratch Saturday, banged home a rebound from a Joe Corvo shot, beating Devils netminder Johan Hedberg and giving the B’s a 4-3 victory at TD Garden, their six straight.
David Clarkson got the Devils on the board with a 5-on-3 goal in the second period, with Chris Kelly  responding late in the period. Brad Marchand , who had an up-and-down night thanks to a bad penalty he took in the second period (see below) scored six seconds into the third period to give the B’s a 2-1 lead, but Nick Palmieri scored the first of his two on the night to tie it when he tipped a shot from Andy Greene past Tim Thomas . Shawn Thornton  then scored his first of the season to give the B’s another lead, but Palmieri answered back yet again.
The Bruins will host the Blue Jackets Thursday, the final game of their five-game home-stand.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– It was a big night for Gregory Campbell , who contributed assists on goals by Kelly and Thornton. Campbell entered the game with a goal and an assist on the season, so Tuesday’s effort saw him double his points total for the year. Campbell got some shifts with Kelly and Rich Peverley  in both the second and third periods.
– Marchand increased his points streak to six games and did it emphatically. After being benched for much of the second half of the second period, he started the third period and scored just six seconds in to give the B’s a 2-1 lead. He had additional chances, like when he couldn’t handle a nice feed in front from Seguin in the second period, but Marchand made sure that his contributions on the score sheet outweighed any of the low points.
– Patrice Bergeron  has always been good on face-offs, and he was outstanding at the dot on Tuesday. He won 21 of his first 26 draws and finished the night 24 of 33.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– There was good and bad with Marchand on Tuesday, so here’s the bad: he wound up in Claude Julien ‘s doghouse in the second period. Marchand, who took a goaltender interference penalty in the first period, wanted a piece of Adam Henrique punched the center, landing him in the bin for roughing at 9:07 of the second.
Clarkson’s goal came when he was in the box, a Johnny Boychuk  delay of game penalty gave the Devils a 39-second 5-on-3. Marchand played just two more shifts in the period, with Pouliot playing left wing on the top line in his place. He was also sat during the Bruins’ power play after Zach Parise  tripped Corvo with Kelly took his spot.
– The Bruins blew two leads in the third period. While they outshot the Devils by a large margin in the period and carried much of the offensive play, letting leads slip is not a habit the B’s want to develop.
– They came pretty close, but for the first time in six games, the Bruins did not score at least five goals. One probably could have guessed that entering the game given the fact that they were playing the Devils, but the face that the Bruins were still able to produce offensively against a team that has allowed five goals just twice the season shows that the hot-scoring B’s haven’t lost their touch.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/11/15/benoit-pouliot-the-hero-as-bruins-win-sixth-straight/
URLs in this post:
 Chris Kelly: http://media.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Shawn Thornton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/shawn-thornton.htm
 Gregory Campbell: http://media.weei.com/hockey/gregory-campbell.htm
 Rich Peverley: http://media.weei.com/hockey/rich-peverley.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Claude Julien: http://media.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://media.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 Zach Parise: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zach-parise.htm
 > Benoit Pouliot the hero as Bruins win sixth straight" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/11/15/benoit-pouliot-the-hero-as-bruins-win-sixth-straight/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.