- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Tuukka Rask leads Bruins to shootout win over Blue Jackets
Posted By DJ Bean On November 17, 2011 @ 9:42 pm In General | No Comments
Tuukka Rask  and David Krejci  came up big for the Bruins Thursday as they defeated the Blue Jackets , 2-1, in shootout fashion at TD Garden. Rask made 30 saves and stopped two of the three attempts in the shootout. With the shootout tied at one after two rounds, Krejci beat Curtis Sanford stick-side before Rask stopped Antione Vermette to give the B’s the win. Rich Peverley  also scored for the B’s in the shootout.
Derek MacKenzie tipped a Nikita Nikitin shot on the power play to give Columbus a 1-0 lead at 2:49 of the second period. Adam McQuaid then scored his first goal of the season at 4:24 on a goal that was initially credited to Peverley.
The Bruins outshot the Blue Jackets, 5-4, in overtime, with Columbus holding a 27-22 advantage during regulation and 31-27 advantage throughout the game. The game ended a stretch of six straight games in which the B’s scored at least four goals.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- McQuaid got his first goal of the season against the team that drafted him. The defenseman was taken by Columbus in the second round of the 2005 draft and was dealt to the B’s in 2007.
- Rask had a strong showing for the B’s on a night in which he had to be on his toes. The number of Bruins turnovers and the Blue Jackets’ shot advantage meant the 24-year-old had to come up big, time after time, and he did. Rask stopped MacKenzie point-blank in front after the Columbus center got a feed from behind the net, and he made a nice pad save on Jeff Carter  in the second. He came up big once again in overtime on a pair of shots in front.
- Shawn Thornton  got an opportunity to drop the gloves when he squared off with Jared Boll at 8:35 of the second period. It was a pretty lengthy bout, and one that grew pretty heated, as the two were still in each other’s faces and screaming at one another following the fight. Boll may have been mad at Thornton for trying to continue the fight after refs tried to break it up.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- Sloppy, sloppy play for much of the first two periods. Turnovers led to Columbus chances, including a slip-up to the right of Rask’s net by Steven Kampfer, Mark Letestu gained control on the play, but Rask bailed the B’s out, as he often had to do amidst a generally drowsy night for Boston.
- Benoit Pouliot took a really dumb roughing penalty after some work in the corner of the offensive zone with Aaron Johnson led to him taking it too far and getting his hands in the face of the Columbus defenseman right in front of a referee. With the game tied in the third period and Pouliot’s spot in the lineup not solidified, it wasn’t the smartest move in the world. Pouliot stayed in the lineup with the return of Daniel Paille , meaning Jordan Caron was the healthy scratch. We’ll see if Pouliot’s penalty costs him an opportunity Saturday against the Islanders.
- Speaking of Pouliot, the winger nearly made it two straight games with a goal when he beat Sanford high stick side. The puck appeared to go in and bounce out at first glance, but play continued and there was no video review at the next stoppage, suggesting it rang off the post/crossbar.
- A hell of a stat dug up by the great Scott McLaughlin, who notes that the Bruins’ four straight games with a power play goal allowed marks their longest such stretch since Oct. 1-12 of 2009.
- With no points in the game, Tyler Seguin  now has a season-worst two-game points drought. That should borderline go in the “What Went Right” section, as it illustrates how insane Seguin has been statically this season. Seguin was tied for the lead amongst Bruins forwards with three shots on goal Thursday.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/11/17/tuukka-rask-leads-bruins-to-shootout-win-over-blue-jackets/
URLs in this post:
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Blue Jackets: http://media.weei.com/hockey/columbus-blue-jackets.htm
 Rich Peverley: http://media.weei.com/hockey/rich-peverley.htm
 Jeff Carter: http://media.weei.com/hockey/jeff-carter.htm
 Shawn Thornton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/shawn-thornton.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://media.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 > Tuukka Rask leads Bruins to shootout win over Blue Jackets" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/11/17/tuukka-rask-leads-bruins-to-shootout-win-over-blue-jackets/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.