- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins exact revenge on Canadiens, record ninth-straight win
Posted By Arielle Aronson On November 21, 2011 @ 10:28 pm In General | No Comments
Throughout much of the Bruins’ current nine-game win streak, Boston grabbed victories by blowing out opponents. On Monday night, the Bruins proved they could win the close, low-scoring games as well when they shut out the Canadiens, 1-0, in Montreal.
The win moved the Bruins into second place behind the Penguins  in the Eastern Conference and into first in the Northeast Division after residing in the basement of both the conference and division just 16 days ago. The last Bruins loss came at the hands of the Canadiens on Oct. 29 at the Bell Centre .
Tim Thomas  made 32 saves to earn his second consecutive shutout, both of which came on the road. Defenseman Andrew Ference  scored the only goal of the game on a wrister 15:41 into the first period. Rich Peverley  and Chris Kelly  recorded assists on the tally.
The Bruins will attempt to carry their win streak into double digits when they return to the ice on Wednesday in Buffalo.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Ference ended Carey Price ‘s six-period shutout streak 15:41 into the game with a goal on a cross-ice feed from Rich Peverley that Ference roofed over Price’s glove. The goal was Ference’s second in as many games. It came on a delayed penalty against Montreal, but the extra-attacker had yet to reach the zone.
– Thomas was outstanding in net on Monday night. He saw the puck extremely well and was in perfect position all night. Thomas made quite a few spectacular saves, including one at the end of the second period when he robbed Mike Camalleri on a power-play jam attempt. He proved how well he was tracking the puck when he snagged a Scott Gomez tip of a Camalleri shot that changed direction at the last moment.
– The Bruins penalty kill had to step up in big moments on Monday. They were tasked with stopping the Canadiens on a four-minute kill that bridged the second and third periods, and then, with Price getting pulled in the waning moments of the game, had to kill off a 6-on-4 for the final 1:39 of the game. The saying goes that a good penalty kill starts with strong goaltending, and although Thomas was strong in net, the Bruins defenders did an admirable job clearing out pucks and pinning plays against the boards. At the end of the second period, Daniel Paille  proved the Bruins commitment to the penalty kill when he dove to clear out a puck despite being fresh off surgery for a broken nose.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– Former Canadien Benoit Pouliot put the Bruins’ lead in peril with six penalty minutes off of stick penalties in the second period. Pouliot’s second penalty, a four-minute double minor for high sticking, came less than three minutes after the end of his first. Bruins coach Claude Julien  made Pouliot pay in the third by benching him for all but 13 seconds of the period.
– The Bruins were unable to sustain much offensive pressure throughout the game, and the top two lines were quiet for most of the night. Brad Marchand  and David Krejci  failed to put any shots on net. The Bruins in all barely tested Price, putting up 18 shots on the night. They were outshot 14-5 in the third period.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/11/21/bruins-exact-revenge-on-canadiens-record-ninth-straight-win/
URLs in this post:
 Penguins: http://media.weei.com/hockey/pittsburgh-penguins.htm
 Bell Centre: http://media.weei.com/hockey/bell-centre.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Andrew Ference: http://media.weei.com/hockey/andrew-ference.htm
 Rich Peverley: http://media.weei.com/hockey/rich-peverley.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://media.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Carey Price: http://media.weei.com/hockey/carey-price.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://media.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 Claude Julien: http://media.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 > Bruins exact revenge on Canadiens, record ninth-straight win" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/11/21/bruins-exact-revenge-on-canadiens-record-ninth-straight-win/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.