- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins come back again, win again
Posted By DJ Bean On November 26, 2011 @ 9:37 pm In General | No Comments
The Bruins overcame a two-goal deficit for the second time in three games and defeated the Jets, 4-2, at TD Garden Saturday.
The Jets jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead in the game’s first 10 minutes when they got goals 39 seconds apart from Evander Kane and Dustin Byfuglien. Zdeno Chara  got the B’s on the board with a slapshot on the power play later in the period, with Kelly scoring two goals to tie the game and give Boston the lead. Brad Marchand  picked up an empty-netter with 1:09 remaining in regulation.
Tim Thomas  picked up his 11th win of the season, and the Bruins now have points in 12 straight games (10-0-1). The B’s will next play Wednesday in Toronto.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Chara has been a statistical monster of late. He has four goals and 12 assists for 16 points over his last 16 games. He started the season without a point in the Bruins’ first six games, but in addition to remaining one of the toughest defensemen in the league to play against, he’s certainly producing of late.
– The Bruins came back from a two-goal deficit for the second time in three games. The B’s came back from a 3-1 hole against the Sabres on Wednesday and went on to win in a shootout against Buffalo, but they were able to take care of the Jets in regulation after trailing, 2-0.
– Benoit Pouliot keeps doing enough to stay in the Bruins’ lineup. Two games after being the hero in the shootout Wednesday, Pouliot made a nice pass to set up Kelly’s one-time in the second period, which broke the 2-2 tie and gave the B’s the lead. The line of Kelly with Peverley and Pouliot is obviously playing well and producing, so it would appear — barring injury — that Jordan Caron may remain a healthy scratch for the time being.
– Kelly brings a lot to the table, but did anyone expect the veteran center to be this productive? He now has nine goals through 22 games and is on pace for a whopping 34 goals this season. Now, Kelly obviously isn’t going to be a 30-goal scorer this season, but he’s come up with some big goals while centering a very productive third line. The Bruins haven’t lost this season in games in which Kelly’s scored, and he has the Bruins’ only two shorthanded goals this season.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- Dustin Byfuglien continues to be a thorn in the Bruins’ side. The 6-foot-5 defenseman had a hand in both of the Jets’ first-period goals, setting up Kane on a 2-on-1 to get the Jets’ first goal and beating Thomas with a slapshot 39 seconds later. Putting up big numbers against the B’s is nothing new for Byfuglien, as he had three goals and four assists for seven points in four games against Boston last season.
While Byfuglien hurt the Bruins on the scoreboard, he also helped them when his interference penalty in the first period gave the Bruins the power play on which Chara scored.
– It’s clearly both a good and bad thing, but the Bruins continue to allow the first goal and not always see it making a difference by the time the game is over. As Michael Berger pointed out Saturday night , the B’s have allowed the first goal in 14 of their 22 games thus far. With the win Saturday, the B’s are now 8-5-1 in such games. The Bruins are 6-2-0 when scoring the first goal.
– He still looks as dangerous as ever, as was evident when he nearly split two defenders at the Jets’ blue line in the first period and hit the post in the third period, but the scoring has slowed a bit from Tyler Seguin . After scoring 11 goals in his 15 games this season, Seguin has one goal over his last sec on contests. He continues to create plays and get chances, so the lack of production should be no more than a statistical observation.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/11/26/bruins-come-back-again-win-again/
URLs in this post:
 Chris Kelly: http://media.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Rich Peverley: http://media.weei.com/hockey/rich-peverley.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Michael Berger pointed out Saturday night: http://twitter.com/#!/MichaelSBerger/status/140589229775396864
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 > Bruins come back again, win again" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/11/26/bruins-come-back-again-win-again/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.