- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins wrap up impressive November with win over Leafs
Posted By DJ Bean On November 30, 2011 @ 9:39 pm In General | No Comments
The Bruins took over first place in the Northeast Division with a 6-3 win over the Maple Leafs at Air Canada Centre  Wednesday. The win wrapped up an impressive month of November in which they went 12-0-1.
The Leafs got on the board first with a power play goal from Mikhail Grabovski in the first period, but the B’s responded with a power play goal of their own thanks to Lucic’s ninth of the season. Krejci gave Boston its first lead of the night at 3:33 of the second period, but former Bruin Phil Kessel  set up a Joffrey Lupul goal to tie it. The B’s then got goals from Chara and Pouliot to give them a 4-2 lead before Tim Thomas  surrendered a soft goal to Matt Fratin. Lucic provided the B’s some insurance with his second goal of the night at 15:21. Brad Marchand  sealed it with an empty-netter.
Thomas collected the win for the B’s, his 12th of the season. He made 34 saves in the victory.
The B’s have now collected 25 of a possible 26 points over the last 13 games and lead the division with 31 points. They will host the Leafs Saturday at TD Garden.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Chara remains red-hot. His two-point night put him at 15 points (5 G, 9 A) over his last 14 games. Points aren’t necessarily what make a defenseman great, but Chara is on pace for his best statistical season since his Norris Trophy-winning 2008-09 campaign.
Though he led the B’s with six shots on goal, it wasn’t a perfect night for Chara. Kessel blew past him in the neutral zone to give he and Lupul a 2-on-1 that led to Lupul’s goal.
– Good to see the first line producing like a first line. The Lucic-Krejci- Horton trio has generally been hit or miss this season, but all three brought it Wednesday night. Krejci’s goal was his first since Nov. 7 and just his fourth of the season, while Lucic’s goal, his ninth, was his first since Nov. 10. Horton had helpers on Krejci and Chara’s goals.
– As hard as it may be to believe, Pouliot has proven to be a statistically clutch player. Two of his three goals, including Wednesday’s, have been of the game-winning variety, and he also won the B’s last Wednesday’s game against Buffalo in the shootout.
– The Bruins once again allowed the first goal and went on to win. With Wednesday’s victory, the B’s are now 9-5-1 when allowing the first goal. They are 9-7-1 in games in which they trailed.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– Adam McQuaid was a team-worst minus-2 on the night. He was the lone defenseman back on Kessel and Lupul’s 2-on-1 in the second period, and was also on the ice for Frattin’s goal.
– Speaking of Frattin’s goal, Thomas didn’t respect Frattin enough on the play, leaving the Leafs forward just enough space to beat him at a wretched angle from the corner to make it a one-goal game. Thomas was obviously expecting Frattin to dish the puck from such a bad angle, but the result was an uncharacteristically weak.
– Tyler Seguin  picked up the primary helper on Lucic’s goal thanks to some sharp passing between he, Lucic and Chara, but the 19-year-old’s slowed goal-scoring pace continues. He now has just one goal in his last eight games after scoring seven in his previous four.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/11/30/bruins-wrap-up-impressive-november-with-win-over-leafs/
URLs in this post:
 Air Canada Centre: http://media.weei.com/basketball/air-canada-centre.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Phil Kessel: http://media.weei.com/hockey/phil-kessel.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 > Bruins wrap up impressive November with win over Leafs" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/11/30/bruins-wrap-up-impressive-november-with-win-over-leafs/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.