Claude Julien: Brad Marchand deserved to be fined
|12.13.11 at 6:40 pm ET|
Claude Julien didn’t even know Brad Marchand was fined for his slew-foot on Matt Niskanen last week until he was asked about it Tuesday, but the Bruins coach wasn’t surprised by the punishment. In fact, he felt his player deserved it.
“When it happened, I addressed it right after the period,” Julien said Tuesday. “You know, there’s certain things that we all can deal with, with certain players and what they do but slew-footing is certainly not something that I like to see, whether it’s for or against us. If he’s going to be doing that, then he’s going to get fined. He’s deserving of it and he has to own up to his mistakes, and he’s done a good job of doing that.
“Again we talk about a young player who’s trying to find that, the fine line and not crossing it and there’s times where he does and he gets fined and again, we’ve addressed it,” he added. “I want him, as I put in my own words, I want him to be a good brat, not a bad brat, so I used that term with him and that means don’t cross the line and I thought he did that time. And his response was ‘I thought I was going to get away with it’ so, but that’s not what you want to see from your players.”
Marchand was fined $2,500 by the league on Monday. The incident occurred last Monday against the Penguins.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Brad Marchand's Hot Streak a Big Reason for the Boston Bruins' Recent...
- Prospect Depth Allows BOS to Not Rush Pastrnak
- Seth Griffith Fitting in on the First Line with the Boston Bruins
- Bruins' Depleted Defense Returns to Reality in Loss to Wild
- Bruins' Patrice Bergeron Records 500th Career Point
- Bruins Players Dress Up as 'Frozen' Characters
- Looking at Bruins Defensive Pairings Without Chara