- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins win without Milan Lucic, defeat Canadiens
Posted By DJ Bean On December 19, 2011 @ 9:29 pm In General | No Comments
No Milan Lucic ? No problem. With last season’s leading goal-scorer suspended, the Bruins still went out and took care of business, beating the Canadiens, 3-2, at TD Garden.
For the second game in a row, Benoit Pouliot put the Bruins on the board in the first period. Tomas Plekanec answered with a goal of his own, but Andrew Ference  helped the B’s get the lead back in the second period when he threw a puck out front from behind the net and saw it bounce of David Krejci  and in. Tyler Seguin  set up Brad Marchand  off a turnover and the second-year forward deked Carey Price  out of his pads for his 12th goal of the season. Erik Cole  scored in the finals minutes to make it a one-goal game, but
Picking up the win for the B’s was Tim Thomas , who won improved to 16-5-0.
The Bruins will next play Friday when they host the Panthers for their last game before Christmas.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Peverley now has points in four straight games, so whatever has been ailing him hasn’t been hurting his production. In addition to assisting the first goal of the night, he tied Seguin for the leaf among Bruins forwards with five shots on goal.
Peverley is developing a habit of setting up Pouliot goals, as he’s done it twice in the last two games. While there was some uncertainty regarding that line to begin the season, it has taken shape, gelled and won games for the Bruins.
- Speaking of that third line, Pouliot now has goals in consecutive games. It’s always seemed that it would be a matter of getting comfortable in the system and being more consistent than he has in the past, and right now the former fourth overall pick is doing both. With six goals on the season now, he has a chance of reaching 18 goals this season, which is what Michael Ryder  gave the B’s in his final two seasons in Boston.
- Another solid night for Zach Hamill, who was given some more responsibility Monday night. After beginning the night on the fourth line, Hamill was used up and down the lineup, seeing multiple shifts on the first line between David Krejci and Nathan Horton , and even played 1:40 on the power play. Hamill had two shots on goal, and his still looking for his first goal in the NHL .
- Another day, another strong performance from a Bruins goaltender. Thomas made 33 saves in the effort. In picking up the win, Thomas is now tied with Pittsburgh’s Marc-Andre Fleury  with 16 victories, which is second in the league.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- Prior to Marchand’s goal, the Bruins, who had hist posts earlier in the game, had bad luck on some chances in the third period. A Seguin slapshot got past Price but went through the crease, and Price later made a tremendous point-blank save on Zach Hamill off a nice pass from Nathan Horton.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/12/19/bruins-win-without-milan-lucic-defeat-canadiens/
URLs in this post:
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Andrew Ference: http://media.weei.com/hockey/andrew-ference.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Carey Price: http://media.weei.com/hockey/carey-price.htm
 Erik Cole: http://media.weei.com/hockey/erik-cole.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Michael Ryder: http://media.weei.com/hockey/michael-ryder.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 NHL: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nhl.htm
 Marc-Andre Fleury: http://media.weei.com/hockey/marc-andre-fleury.htm
 > Bruins win without Milan Lucic, defeat Canadiens" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2011/12/19/bruins-win-without-milan-lucic-defeat-canadiens/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.