- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Lightning end seven-game losing streak, beat sloppy Bruins
Posted By DJ Bean On January 17, 2012 @ 10:09 pm In General | No Comments
The Bruins were just sluggish and sloppy enough for the Lightning to end their seven-game losing streak, as Tampa Bay defeated the B’s, 5-3, Tuesday night.
Nathan Horton  had two goals, but his contributions weren’t enough to make up for another off-night for the Bruins.
The Lightning took the lead when Vincent Lecavalier sent a loose puck past Tim Thomas  at 7:11 of the first period. Horton tied the game at 4:28 of the second, but Tom Pyatt gave the Lightning a 2-1 lead before Horton tied it once more. The Lightning then regained the lead on Ryan Malone ‘s 10th goal of the season, but Daniel Paille  scored on a shorthanded breakaway to make it 3-3 in the third period. Dominic Moore gave the Lightning the lead for good with 3:45 remaining in the game. Steven Stamkos added an empty-netter.
The Bruins now have lost two of their last three games. They will play again Thursday in New Jersey before returning home to face the Rangers.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– The B’s slept through the first period, as they managed only two shots on goal during 5-on-5 play. They added four shots on two power plays, but it was a rough first 20 minutes the B’s.
– It looked like more of the 2009-10 Tim Thomas for the Bruins on Tuesday. Thomas is known for his unorthodox, aggressive style, and it bit the Bruins in the rear when he got a little too aggressive on Pyatt’s second goal. Thomas dove out to stop Steve Downie, and Pyatt was able to poke the puck into the net. That wasn’t the lone instance in which Thomas looked shaky, but with Thomas’ style of play he will occasionally have a night like Tuesday. The fact that these games have come so infrequently perfectly illustrates how impressive Thomas’ last 16 months have been.
– The Bruins officially can’t complain about other players diving for the rest of the season after Tyler Seguin  reinvented the move on a Stamkos hook. The play occurred midway through the period, so it cost the B’s a power play in which they could have taken the lead. Given that Moore scored the game-winner after the penalties, the game could have been much different.
– While David Krejci ‘s line was on the ice for both of the Bruins’ goals, it was also on the ice for Tampa’s first three goals, giving Krejci, Horton and Milan Lucic  all minus-1 ratings on the night.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Claude Julien  called out Horton after Monday night’s game, telling reporters the right winger needed to pick his game up. Once again, Julien’s words paid off. Horton, who had three shots on goal over the previous three games, had four shots on goal through the first two periods Tuesday and added his 15th and 16th goals of the year. If Horton can avoid the slumps and lethargic stretches he’s been prone to, he could put up 30 goals this season. He should be a safe bet to surpass his total of 26 from last season.
– Good to see Paille with some strong finishing skills, as his back-hander past Mathieu Garon came on his second shorthanded breakaway of the night.
Earlier in the period, Paille took the puck from Eric Brewer at the blue line to give himself a shorthanded breakaway, but his wrist shot was blocked by Garon before going off the post.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2012/01/17/lightning-end-seven-game-losing-streak-beat-sloppy-bruins/
URLs in this post:
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Ryan Malone: http://media.weei.com/hockey/ryan-malone.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://media.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Claude Julien: http://media.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 > Lightning end seven-game losing streak, beat sloppy Bruins" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2012/01/17/lightning-end-seven-game-losing-streak-beat-sloppy-bruins/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.