- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins shut out for fifth time in February, lose to Senators
Posted By DJ Bean On February 28, 2012 @ 9:38 pm In General | 1 Comment
The Bruins were shut out for the fifth time in February, suffering a 1-0 loss to the Senators at TD Garden Tuesday.
The loss wrapped up a forgettable February in which the B’s went 5-7-1. The Bruins were not able to beat Senators goaltender Robin Lehner, who picked up his first NHL shootout.
Defenseman Erik Karlsson scored the only goal of the game, beating Tim Thomas on the power play in the first period. Thomas made 37 saves in the losing effort.
The Bruins had a good chance to tie the game late when Senators defenseman Sergei Gonchar went off for hooking, but the power play and final seconds went yielded no legitimate bids.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- Joe Corvo said Monday that he was going to go after Kyle Turris, but he stayed away from the Senators center whenever the two were on the ice. Corvo was fired up after the league decided not to suspend Turris for his headshot on Corvo Saturday, but whenever the two were on the ice, Corvo kept his distance. Even on plays where Corvo could have simply finished a check on Turris, no contact was made between the two.
Corvo said Tuesday morning that he regretted the comments. As Dale Arnold mentioned on Twitter, perhaps Corvo got a preemptive call from the league over his comments.
- Thomas played well in the losing effort, and certainly deserved more offensive production than he got. Still, Thomas ran into a bit of good luck. The game could have easily been 3-0 in the second period, as Dennis Seidenberg cleared a puck out of the crease with the net open in the first, and Erik Condra missed an open net in the second.
- With the loss, the Bruins still have not won back-to-back contests since Jan. 10 and 12, a span of 21 games. Though they picked up points in their previous three games (1-0-2), their current skid is still not over.
- Tuesdays game marked the fifth time in February that the Bruins were shut out. In the first four months of the season, the B’s were only shut out twice. The alarming rate at which they’ve been shut to speaks volumes to their offense power outage over the course of February. The B’s scored two goals or less in eight of their 13 games.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2012/02/28/bruins-shut-out-for-fifth-time-in-february-lose-to-senators/
URLs in this post:
 > Bruins shut out for fifth time in February, lose to Senators" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2012/02/28/bruins-shut-out-for-fifth-time-in-february-lose-to-senators/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.