- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
David Krejci’s hat trick leads Bruins past Devils in overtime
Posted By DJ Bean On March 1, 2012 @ 9:37 pm In General | 1 Comment
David Krejci  chose the best time of all to seal his hat trick Thursday, scoring his third goal of the night 2:59 into overtime to give the Bruins a 4-3 win over the Devils at TD Garden.
The Bruins blew a two-goal lead in the second period, but came back to tie the game in the third before eventually winning it on Krejci’s 16th of the season.
Claude Julien  shuffled the team’s lines, and it paid off early for the Bruins. Centering Milan Lucic  and Tyler Seguin , Krejci scored his 14th goal of the season 1:13 into the game when Seguin flew down the right wing and fed Krejci in front of the net. The same line produced another goal just under seven minutes later when Milan Lucic  came down along the boards and shook off Mark Fayne before sending a pass to Seguin, who beat Martin Brodeur  with a wrist shot. The goal was Seguin’s 21st of the season.
Then, as has been the case often this season, things went south for the B’s in the second period. The Devils scored three unanswered goals, getting tallies from Zach Parise , Patrik Elias and David Clarkson to wipe out the Bruins’ lead.
The Bruins woke back up in the third, as Krejci batted a rebound out of mid air at 5:30 to tie the game and give him his second goal of the night.
Tim Thomas  made 26 saves on 29 shots in regulation, while Brodeur stopped 21 of the 24 shots he faced in the first three periods.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Greg Zanon looked good in his Bruins debut. Paired with Adam McQuaid to begin the game, Zanon had a shot on goal, a pair of blocked shots and a big hit on Clarkson. Zanon finished the night with a team-high three hits for the B’s. Hits and blocked shots are both specialties of Zanon, who is a safer defenseman with less offensive prowess. Zanon also contributed on the penalty kill when Zdeno Chara  went off for high-sticking Adam Henrique in the third period.
- That new line of Krejci between Seguin and Lucic sure looked good. All three players had multi-point nights, as Krejci had a pair of goals, while Seguin had a goal and an assist and Lucic had a pair of helpers.
- Tim Thomas  picked up his first assist of the season and sixth helper of his career when he got the secondary apple on Seguin’s goal. Of course, it took Thomas a little longer to get his first assist this season than it did last season, as he assisted Seguin’s first career goal in his first start of the season in Prague against the Coyotes.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- Joe Corvo‘s horrid night cost him. He had his latest bad turnover in a Bruins sweater, making a blind backhanded pass into the neutral zone from the Bruins’ blue line in the second period, and Ilya Kovalchuk  picked it off easily before feeding Zach Parise  to make it 2-1. Corvo is fighting to stay in the lineup once Johnny Boychuk  is healthy, and if he winds up as a healthy scratch, it will be because of the turnovers. He was also on the ice for Elias’ goal and was benched afterwards. He didn’t return to the ice until the start of the Bruins’ third-period power play at 5:45.
- After buzzing around the Devils’ zone for the first 20 minutes, the Bruins got off to a quiet start in the second period. The B’s didn’t get their first shot of the period until 9:11, when Seguin was stopped by Brodeur. The second period has been a killer for the Bruins for quite some time, and they were outscored, 2-0, and lost their lead in the second Thursday night.
- The Bruins’ lead could have been much greater than it was, and Brodeur had a lot to do with that. The four-time Vezina-winner came up with some some saves, including one on David Krejci  in the first period. With the Devils on the power play, a save from Thomas on David Clarkson quickly turned into a breakaway for Krejci, but Brodeur stopped him with his blocker on an acrobatic save.
- Andrew Ference  did not take another shift after his third of the period, which ended 5:30 into the period. He may have been injured on a hit he took from Alexei Ponikarovsky earlier in the period, though he had initially returned to the ice following the hit.
- Shawn Thornton  was also missing for a few minutes after fighting frequent dance partner Eric Boulton 2:11 into the first period. After disappearing from the bench, he returned to take his second shift of the night at 15:35.
- Claude Julien  sure does trust Brian Rolston  already, as the B’s coach put Rolston on Patrice Bergeron’s line with Marchand. Rolston took his second tripping penalty in as many games, and through two games looks like he’d be better suited for bottom-six minutes than playing on that second line over someone like Chris Kelly  or Benoit Pouliot. Julien eventually played Kelly on the line in Rolston’s place in the third period.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2012/03/01/david-krejcis-hat-trick-leads-bruins-past-devils-in-overtime/
URLs in this post:
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Claude Julien: http://media.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Martin Brodeur: http://media.weei.com/hockey/martin-brodeur.htm
 Zach Parise: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zach-parise.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Ilya Kovalchuk: http://media.weei.com/hockey/ilya-kovalchuk.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://media.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 Andrew Ference: http://media.weei.com/hockey/andrew-ference.htm
 Shawn Thornton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/shawn-thornton.htm
 Brian Rolston: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brian-rolston.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://media.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 > David Krejci’s hat trick leads Bruins past Devils in overtime" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2012/03/01/david-krejcis-hat-trick-leads-bruins-past-devils-in-overtime/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.