- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins lose Tuukka Rask, then game to Islanders
Posted By DJ Bean On March 3, 2012 @ 3:40 pm In General | 1 Comment
The Bruins lost more than a winnable game against a non-playoff team Saturday, as they lost goaltender Tuukka Rask to injury and fell to the Islanders, 3-2, at TD Garden.
Rask left the game in the second period with a lower-body injury and was replaced by Tim Thomas. For more on the injury, click here .
The Bruins got on the board in the first period when Milan Lucic scored on the power play, a goal assisted by Brian Rolston for the veteran forward’s first point since returning to the Bruins. The Islanders tied it late in the first on a Josh Bailey goal.
After Thomas took over for Rask in the second period, Matt Moulson gave the Islanders a 2-1 lead on the power play. Tyler Seguin tied the game 7:29 into the third period, but the Islanders would regain the lead in the final five minutes on John Taveres‘ 26th of the season.
The Bruins will return to action Sunday when they face the Eastern conference-leading Rangers at Madison Square Garden.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- After defeating the Devils Thursday, the B’s blew their latest chance at winning back-to-back games, and have still not one consecutive games since Jan. 10 and 12, a span of 23 games.
- The B’s are in trouble if Rask’s injury keeps him out for a while. After Sunday’s game against the Rangers, the Bruins will still have games on back-to-back days three times for the remainder of the season. Given that Providence goaltenders Anton Khudobin (wrist) and Michael Hutchinson (flu) are out, the B’s could be looking at Adam Courchaine, who was called up to Providence from the ECHL and has played only five career AHL games.
- Rask wasn’t the Bruins’ only injury scare. Daniel Paille left the Bruins’ bench and headed down the tunnel after getting tripped by Steve Staios in the third period. Paille did not return to the game. Staios was the same guy who hit Paille in the face with a slapshot back on Nov. 7.
- Greg Zanon got beaten for the first time in a Bruins uniform. After playing early in the first period on a pairing with Joe Corvo, Zanon went back to playing with Adam McQuaid. Late in the first period, Anders Nillson sent a pass through Zanon to Bailey, who beat Rask to tie the game at one goal apiece.
- There was a pretty bad non-call late in the first period, as P.A. Parenteau got Brad Marchand in the face with a high stick that appeared to cut the Bruins forward. Marchand remained down on the ice for a few moments, but got back up and played the rest of his shift. Of course, a high-stick that draws blood should yield a four-minute double-minor. Overall, the officiating wasn’t great, as Shawn Thornton was given a questionable roughing call when both he and Travis Hamonic were shoving after Hamonic hit Thornton.
- That pesky second period got to the Bruins again, as the Islanders took the lead on Moulson’s goal. The Bruins have outscored their opponents in the second period only once over their last eight games.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- The B’s got Johnny Boychuk back after he missed the last two games with a concussion sustained last Saturday on a hit from Senators forward Chris Neil. Boychuk didn’t seem to take much time getting back to his usual self, as he led all players with four hits in the first period.
- Seguin is heating back up for the Bruins, and it’s no coincidence that his output has increased since being teamed with David Krejci and Milan Lucic. Seguin had gone 10 games without a goal leading into Thursday night’s game against the Devils, but he now has goals in two straight. On the season, Seguin has 22 goals, which doubles last season’s total of 11.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2012/03/03/bruins-lose-tuukka-rask-then-game-to-islanders/
URLs in this post:
 click here: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2012/03/03/tuukka-rask-leaves-with-injury/
 > Bruins lose Tuukka Rask, then game to Islanders" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2012/03/03/bruins-lose-tuukka-rask-then-game-to-islanders/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.