- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins lose fourth straight, fall to Panthers
Posted By DJ Bean On March 15, 2012 @ 10:10 pm In General | 2 Comments
The Bruins set the table for the Senators to knock them into seventh place, falling to the Panthers , 6-2, Thursday in Sunrise, Fla.
The B’s have lost four straight games, which makes for their longest losing streak of the season. Their lead in the Northeast Division is down to one point, and the Senators will have a chance to leapfrog the Bruins when they host the last-place Canadiens Friday.
The Senators jumped out to a 2-0 lead thanks to goals from Mickael Samuelsson and Marcel Goc in the first two periods. Joe Corvo brought the B’s within one with his fourth goal of the year, but second-period tallies from Stephen Weiss and John Madden  gave the Panthers a three-goal lead entering the third period. Brian Rolston  scored his first goal since coming back to the Bruins when he beat Jose Theodore at 1:44 of the third period with a power-play goal. Later in the period, a Chris Kelly  pass that went off Zdeno Chara ‘s foot bounced right onto the stick of Tomas Kopecky, with the Panthers forward slamming it home to make it a 5-2 game. Wojtek Wolski made it a half-dozen for Florida.
Tim Thomas  played in his 11th straight game, allowing all six Panthers goals and taking the loss. He has allowed at least three goals in five of his last six starts.
The B’s return to action Saturday at TD Garden, hosting the Flyers.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– Brad Marchand  has remained whisper quiet for the B’s, as the second-line winger has just a goal and an assist over his last 10 games. The Bruins need to get a lot of their guys going, and Marchand’s right at the top of that list. Between the injuries and the fact that the B’s are in a race for the division, now isn’t the time for Marchand to cool off.
– Thursday marked the seventh consecutive game in which the Bruins allowed the first goal, and 10th time in their last 12 games. They have also allowed the first two goals in four straight games. If the Bruins want to start winning games, playing from behind isn’t exactly the key.
– Along those same lines, the first period has been rough for the Bruins of late. The second period seemed to be the team’s Achilles’ heel for a stretch, but the B’s have been outscored 14-3 in the first period over their last seven games.
– While Jordan Caron played well skating on the first line with David Krejci  and Milan Lucic , the other two did not. Krejci and Lucic failed to register a shot on goal on the night, while Caron put two pucks on net and saw his hard work along the boards result in Rolston’s goal. Caron certainly has been strong for the Bruins of late, but the problem is that few have joined him.
– This losing streak has been bad enough for the B’s, but you’d have to go back over two years to January of 2010 to find the last time the Bruins went four straight games without a single point.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– The months of November and December.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2012/03/15/bruins-lose-fourth-straight-fall-to-panthers/
URLs in this post:
 Panthers: http://media.weei.com/hockey/john-madden-hockey.htm
 John Madden: http://media.weei.com/hockey/john-madden.htm
 Brian Rolston: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brian-rolston.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://media.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 > Bruins lose fourth straight, fall to Panthers" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2012/03/15/bruins-lose-fourth-straight-fall-to-panthers/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.