- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Patrice Bergeron, Tim Thomas lead Bruins past Kings
Posted By DJ Bean On March 24, 2012 @ 11:45 pm In General | 3 Comments
The Bruins maintained their two-point lead on the Senators Saturday night thanks to a 4-2 victory over the Kings in Los Angeles.
Patrice Bergeron  scored a shorthanded goal 5:18 into the second period to give the B’s a 1-0 lead, but Colin Fraser‘s second goal of the season tied it later in the period. The Bruins would increase their lead to 3-1 thanks to goals from Milan Lucic  and Chris Kelly , but a Slava Voynov goal with 5:14 left in regulation made it a one-goal game. The B’s would hang on to win after killing off a Jordan Caron penalty with 4:03 remaining in regulation. Brad Marchand  scored an empty-netter in the final second of the game.
The Bruins’ victory broke a six-game winning streak for the Kings, who are fighting for one of the final two playoff spots in the Western Conference.
Tim Thomas  played in his 15th consecutive game for the Bruins and made 40 saves on 42 shots in the victory. The win was the Bruins and Thomas’ third in his last four games.
The B’s will finish their three-game west coast road trip when they face the Ducks Sunday night in Anaheim.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Another fine example of why the Bruins are still dangerous when on the penalty kill. Bergeron poked the puck away from Anze Kopitar, sending the puck into the neutral zone. When Drew Doughty tried to bring the puck back through the neutral zone and into the Bruins’ zone, Marchand picked off his pass to create a shorthanded break, the rebound of which was buried by Bergeron to give the Bruins’ the 1-0 lead.
– Bergeron’s goal was his first in 13 games. Because of everything he brings special-teams wise and just as one of the premier two-way forwards in the game, Bergeron can never be considered “slumping,” but his return to the goal column is a sign the Bruins will welcome. Bergeron has now scored 20 goals in back-to-back seasons and four of the six seasons in which he’s played 70 or more games.
– Thomas was once again big for the Bruins, and it’s starting to look like he’s finally busted out of his midseason malaise. The reigning Vezina winner is 3-1-0 in his last four games with six goals allowed and one shutout. Thomas came up with a big stop on Dustin Brown  in the second period with the Bruins caught in the midst of a line change, but his best work came in the final minute of the game, rejecting an onslaught of bids from the Kings.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– The Bruins could have really put the game out of reach with six minutes left in the game, but Jonathan Quick  robbed David Krejci . Lucic created the play by bursting past multiple Kings players in the neutral zone, and he and Krejci broke into the Kings’ zone with a 2-on-1. Lucic fed Krejci, only to see Quick rob him and keep it a two-goal game. The Kings got within one less than a minute later.
– The Bruins couldn’t have picked a worse time to be killing a penalty, as Caron went off for high sticking with 4:03 remaining in the game. The Kings had momentum thanks to Voynov’s goal less than a minute earlier, but the B’s were able to kill off the man advantage as past of a big night for the team’s penalty kill.
– One game after mustering a season-low 17 shots on goal, the Bruins struggled with consistently getting pucks to the net. The B’s finished the night with 26 shots on goal, but had only eight and six shots on goal in the second and third periods, respectively.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2012/03/24/patrice-bergeron-tim-thomas-lead-bruins-past-kings/
URLs in this post:
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://media.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Tim Thomas: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tim-thomas.htm
 Dustin Brown: http://media.weei.com/tennis/dustin-brown.htm
 Jonathan Quick: http://media.weei.com/hockey/jonathan-quick.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 > Patrice Bergeron, Tim Thomas lead Bruins past Kings" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2012/03/24/patrice-bergeron-tim-thomas-lead-bruins-past-kings/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.