Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said on a conference call Sunday that while he won’t rule Nathan Horton  out for the season, the veteran winger is a “longshot” to play again this season after suffering his most recent concussion in January.
Horton began skating last week but has not yet been cleared for contact. Chiarelli noted that Horton is “quite far off right now” as he still has occasional post-concussion syndrome issues. Even if Horton were to be cleared for contact, Chiarelli said the 26-year-old would still need “a couple of weeks” before he would be ready to play in games.
“Well, certainly if he were to be cleared at some point, he’d need at least a couple weeks to get back so he’s quite far off right now,” Chiarelli said. “I know he’s skating, [but] he’s had little bouts here and there with post-concussion symptoms so it’s a long shot. I’m not going to rule him out yet but it’s a longshot.”
In 46 games this season, Horton has 17 goals and 15 assists for 32 points and an even rating.
On the status of the team’s other injured players, Chiarelli said defensemen Johnny Boychuk  (bruised knee) and Adam McQuaid (swollen eye) are both “day-to-day,” while he considers goaltender Tuukka Rask  “a little bit more than day-to-day” as the Finnish netminder looks to return from an abdomen strain/groin strain. If Rask is unable to play, Anton Khudobin will be Tim Thomas ‘ backup when the playoffs begin against the Capitals.