News and notes from Wednesday’s conference call with Peter Chiarelli
|06.13.12 at 8:01 pm ET|
Here are some of the takeaway bits from Peter Chiarelli‘s conference call with the media today. For Wednesday’s column on what he and the players had to say about the Chris Kelly and Gregory Campbell signings, click here.
– Chiarelli said that while he did not see Tim Thomas‘ Facebook post, nothing has changed on the Thomas front and the team still believes Tuukka Rask and Anton Khudobin will be the NHL goalies next season. Thomas heavily implied but did not flat-out say that he was taking the year off, and the Bruins have not heard from the netminder since.
– Asked about the status of restricted free agent Benoit Pouliot, Chiarelli offered no update on the team’s intentions but said a return for the 25-year-old is “a possibility.” Pouliot and Brian Rolston are the only two forwards from last year’s team that are not signed.
– The general manager confirmed that with all of the team’s centers locked up, the plan for Tyler Seguin is to keep him at right wing in the coming seasons. Seguin was drafted as a center after playing the position in the OHL, but the combination of the team’s depth and his getting familiar with the NHL has kept him at right wing for the vast majority of his two professional seasons.
“Kells is a center and [Rich Peverley] is a center and they’ve played wing, so for the short term, yes,” he said of Seguin staying at wing. “He’s had success at the wing, and short term may be one, two, three years. Who knows? At this point we don’t have any reason to put him to the middle.”
– Kelly’s deal won’t officially be signed until July 1 because of what Chiarelli called “payroll tagging issues.”
“It’s a salary cap thing,” he said. “It’s called tagging room about future commitments, and so because of that, we won’t be able to register until July 1st. Basically, it’s a formula based on salary cap and future commitments.”