Bruins grab future Boston University defenseman Matt Grzelcyk in third round
|06.23.12 at 11:59 am ET|
The Bruins selected defenseman Matt Grzelcyk with their third-round pick (85th overall) in the draft on Saturday.
Grzelcyk, who last played with the U.S. National Team Development Program, will be an incoming freshman at Boston University in the fall. Grzeclyk was ranked the No. 177 North American skater in April. Last year with Team USA, the 5-foot-9, 170 pound defenseman scored a goal and 10 assists in 24 games.
The selection of Grzelcyk continues a recent trend of Boston acquiring undersized college defensemen, like signing of Michigan State defenseman Torey Krug, and the trade for BU defenseman David Warsofsky.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Brad Marchand's Hot Streak a Big Reason for the Boston Bruins' Recent...
- Prospect Depth Allows BOS to Not Rush Pastrnak
- Seth Griffith Fitting in on the First Line with the Boston Bruins
- Bruins' Depleted Defense Returns to Reality in Loss to Wild
- Bruins' Patrice Bergeron Records 500th Career Point
- Bruins Players Dress Up as 'Frozen' Characters
- Looking at Bruins Defensive Pairings Without Chara