The NHL announced Friday that it has cancelled games through Nov. 30 as a result of the current lockout.
Had a deal been struck at some point this week, the league felt it would be able to start an 82-game season on Nov. 2, but the lack of a new CBA led to the further cancellations. Should games through November be cancelled, the league would lose the Nov. 23 game between the Bruins and Rangers, more notably the first game to be televised by NBC and what many thought before the lockout would be a possible starting point for the season.
Bruins goaltender Tuukka Rask suffered a groin injury playing for HC Plzen of the Czech Extraliga Tuesday. According to a tweet from Czech play-by-play announcer Roman Jedlicka, Rask left the game after the first period.
Rask had suffered an abdomen strain/groin strain last season, and he didn’t play again after sustaining the injury on March 3 against the Islanders.
Said Rask to a Czech TV station following the game Tuesday: “I slightly pulled my groin. It is not serious. I had groin problems last year so i took little rest just for precaution.”
Rask’s injury is the first known injury suffered by a Bruins player playing overseas during the NHL lockout.
While there’s no news as to where things stand for a potential season, Marc Savard took to Twitter Monday to give what at this point figures to be an annual reminder that he won’t be playing hockey.
The veteran center, who hasn’t played since suffering a concussion on Jan. 22, 2011, said that at this point there is “no chance” that he returns to the NHL. Savard still has five years left on his seven-year, $28.05 million deal and technically has to take and fail his physical every year to be paid his contract. His cap number ($4.007 million) doesn’t go against the Bruins’ salary cap figure as long they put him on long-term injured reserve, which they did in the 2010-11 season when they acquired Tomas Kaberle.
I tried to workout today with my trainer I felt like crap but I need to do it #battle
For the fans that keep asking there is no comeback in the foreseeable future I miss the game it has given me everything I have today ‘ marc savard (@MSavvy91) October 22, 2012
I do in fact hope there is still a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel to play but that rest on the doctor shoulders so far #nochance
‘ marc savard (@MSavvy91) October 22, 2012
The NHL announced Friday that it has cancelled games through Nov. 1. Games through Oct. 24 had already been cancelled previously.
The news comes a day after negotiations between the league and NHLPA for a new collective bargaining agreement took “a step backward,” according to commissioner Gary Bettman. On Tuesday, the league offered a proposal that would include an 82-game schedule this season that started on Nov. 2, but the NHLPA countered with three proposals that the league did not find acceptable.
With the new cancellations, 10 Bruins games this season have now been cancelled.
Nobody would have been surprised if negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement were to take a turn for the worse, and that’s exactly what happened between the NHL and NHLPA Thursday in Toronto.
After a negotiating session between the two sides that lasted just over an hour, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman told reporters that the two sides are “not speaking the same language” and called the meeting a “step backward.”
During the session, the NHLPA submitted three counter-proposals to Tuesday’s offer from the league. The league’s offer had included a 50-50 split of hockey-related revenue, with Bettman telling reporters after Thursday’s meeting that none of the three counter-proposals “even began to approach 50-50.”
The league has already cancelled games through Oct. 24. If the NHLPA was to have accepted the offer submitted by the league within the next week, an 82-game season would be able to start on Nov. 2, though that seems a longshot considering that the sides are still apart in negotiations.
Only 18 players were able to attend Thursday’s negotiating session between the NHLPA and the owners, due in large part to many of the stars being overseas for the lockout. Among those in attendance Thursday in Toronto was Bruins’ enforcer Shawn Thornton. A good day of talks between the sides could mean an eventual end to the lockout, but for now here’s the latest update on how Bruins players are faring in Europe and the OHL.
[Certain leagues' stats take a little longer to surface on the various hockey statistics sites (HockeyDB is used for most of these), so some statistics might not be up to the day/hour/minute/etc.]
Swiss National League A
- Tyler Seguin has one goal and four assists for five points in seven games for EHC Biel. He’s also rocking a not-so-shiny minus-6 rating.
- In five games with Prague Lev, Zdeno Chara has one goal and two assists for three points and a minus-1 rating.
- Bruins backup goalie Anton Khudobin is 3-6-2 with a 2.65 goals-against average and .921 save percentage in 11 games for Moscow Oblast Atlant.
Czech Elite League
- David Krejci has three goals and two assists for five points and an even rating in five games for HC Pardubice.
- In two games for Ceske Budejovice, Andrew Ference has one assist and a plus-2 rating.
Deutsche Eishockey League
- Dennis Seidenberg has one assist and an even rating in four games for the Manheim Eagles.
- Through seven games for JyP HT Jyvaskyla of the SM-liiga, Rich Peverley has no goals but five assists. He’s recorded six penalty minutes and has a plus-1 rating.
- Turns out it wasn’t just a hot start for 2011 third-rounder Anthony Camara. The physical forward has nine goals and three assists for 12 points and a plus-3 rating for the Barrie Colts. He’s also kept up his physical end of the bargain, compiling 21 penalty minutes.
- In 11 games for the Niagara IceDogs, Dougie Hamilton has three goals and eight assists for 11 points and a plus-11 rating.
- Goalie Malcolm Subban is 5-2-1 with a 2.08 goals-against average and .934 save percentage through eight games for the Belleville Bulls.