NHL officially cancels Winter Classic
|11.02.12 at 3:36 pm ET|
The NHL officially cancelled the 2013 Winter classic shortly after 3 p.m. on Friday. The annual outdoor game was scheduled to be played between the Red Wings and Maple Leafs on Jan. 1 at Michigan Stadium. In a press release announcing the cancellation, the league said that the teams will play in the next Winter Classic.
HBO, who produces the behind-the-scenes series, “NHL 24/7″ had to know by mid-November whether the game would be played so they could film the teams leading up to the annual outdoor game. In addition to losing the Winter Classic, the league has cancelled games through the end of November due to a lack of collective bargaining agreement between the players and owners.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Do the Bruins Need to Make Major Change on Defense Before 2014-15?
- Should the Bruins Re-Sign Shawn Thornton?
- Bruins Prospects Look to Preserve Their AHL Playoff Run
- Complete Guide to Bruins' 2014 Offseason
- Final Report Card for Bruins' 2013-14 Season
- Game 6 Keys for Bruins, Canadiens
- Takeaways from Canadiens vs. Bruins Game 5