NHL officially cancels Winter Classic
|11.02.12 at 3:36 pm ET|
The NHL officially cancelled the 2013 Winter classic shortly after 3 p.m. on Friday. The annual outdoor game was scheduled to be played between the Red Wings and Maple Leafs on Jan. 1 at Michigan Stadium. In a press release announcing the cancellation, the league said that the teams will play in the next Winter Classic.
HBO, who produces the behind-the-scenes series, “NHL 24/7″ had to know by mid-November whether the game would be played so they could film the teams leading up to the annual outdoor game. In addition to losing the Winter Classic, the league has cancelled games through the end of November due to a lack of collective bargaining agreement between the players and owners.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Brad Marchand's Hot Streak a Big Reason for the Boston Bruins' Recent...
- Prospect Depth Allows BOS to Not Rush Pastrnak
- Seth Griffith Fitting in on the First Line with the Boston Bruins
- Bruins' Depleted Defense Returns to Reality in Loss to Wild
- Bruins' Patrice Bergeron Records 500th Career Point
- Bruins Players Dress Up as 'Frozen' Characters
- Looking at Bruins Defensive Pairings Without Chara