Maple Leafs replace Brian Burke as president/GM
|01.09.13 at 12:45 pm ET|
According to Bob McKenzie of TSN, the Maple Leafs have fired president and general manager Brian Burke and named Dave Nonis general manager. The Providence native was the general manager of the Ducks when they won the Stanley Cup in 2006-07 and was president/GM of the Leafs since 2008. He will reportedly remain with the organization as an advisor.
Burke’s approach to shaping the the Leafs focused heavily on turning assets such as draft picks into NHL-ready players, such as when he sent two first-round draft picks and a second-rounder to the Bruins in exchange for Phil Kessel prior to the 2009-10 season. Though Kessel has been a 30-goal-scorer in each of his three seasons with the Leafs thus far, the trade has been widely viewed as lopsided in the Bruins’ favor, as both first-rounders became top-10 picks that netted Boston highly touted prospects in Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton.
The Maple Leafs have finished no better than fourth in the Northeast Division in each of Burke’s four seasons with the team.
- Public Skate Third Period: Bruins 0 Flames 1
- Public Skate: Bruins at Flames, 9:30 pm
- Bruins PR memo leaked
- In and Out Burger: Flame-Broiled Bruins: Injury Updates, Who's playing...
- Five Questions with Matchsticks and Gasoline
- Fresh Links: Calgary AHLert Edition
- Shanahan has spoken: Dion Phaneuf gets two-game suspension for Miller hit