- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Marian Gaborik’s hat trick leads Rangers past Bruins in overtime
Posted By DJ Bean On January 23, 2013 @ 10:14 pm In General | 11 Comments
Marian Gaborik completed his hat trick in overtime Wednesday night, burying the rebound of his own breakaway bid to give the Rangers a 4-3 win over the Bruins.
Gaborik also scored twice in the first period, giving the Rangers a 2-0 lead before second-period goals from Brad Marchand  and Milan Lucic  tied the game. Forty seconds later, however, Taylor Pyatt beat Tuukka Rask  to give the Rangers the lead until Nathan Horton  tied it in the third with his first goal since suffering a season-ending concussion last Jan. 22.
With the overtime loss, the Bruins fell to 2-0-1 on the season. They will return home to face the Islanders Friday at TD Garden.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- Claude Julien  puts the Merlot Line on the ice on the shifts following goals to keep the intensity up, but they looked like just another fourth line on the shift that followed Lucic’s game-tying goal in the second period. Shawn Thornton  failed to get the puck out of the zone when given the opportunity along the boards, allowing the play that resulted in Pyatt’s goal.
- Hamilton gets a spot in both sections here. For as strong as he has played through the first three games of the season, he also could have prevented two of the five goals the team has allowed. In addition to not getting to rebound on the Jets’ first-period goal Monday, Hamilton was also caught out of position on Gaborik’s second goal of the night.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- For the second time in three games, the Bruins had to kill off a lengthy 5-on-3 against the Rangers and did so successfully. With Aaron Johnson already off for tripping, Adam McQuaid took an obvious boarding penalty on a hit on Dan Girardi, giving the Rangers a 1:13 5-on-3. Zdeno Chara , Boychuk, Patrice Bergeron  and Chris Kelly  killed it off. The B’s still have not allowed a power-play goal this season.
- It wasn’t his most impressive effort through three games, but Hamilton picked up what should be the first of many points in the NHL  by firing the shot that Marchand tipped past Lundqvist. He had an earlier opportunity on the power play when he got off a slapshot from the top of the right circle that Lundqvist glove.
In the latest sign that Claude Julien  has a lot of faith in the rookie, Hamilton led the Bruins with 8:01 of ice time in the first period and was also on the 5-on-4 portion of the Rangers’ third-period 5-on-3.
- Hamilton’s first career NHL  point wasn’t the only thing that made the Bruins’ first goal on Wednesday significant. It was also the Bruins’ first power-play tally in 12 attempts this season. Boston went 1-for-5 on the man advantage Wednesday.
- If this is an out-of-shape Lucic, then a lot of teams probably wish they had players that were as out-of-shape. The name of the game is hustle when it comes to the 24-year-old power-forward, and thus far he’s turned in the hard work. He was relentless in front of the net on the Bruins’ second goal in the second period, his team-leading second of the season.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/01/23/marian-gaboriks-hat-trick-leads-rangers-past-bruins-in-overtime/
URLs in this post:
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Claude Julien: http://media.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 Shawn Thornton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/shawn-thornton.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://media.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 NHL: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nhl.htm
 NHL: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nhl-hockey.htm
 > Marian Gaborik’s hat trick leads Rangers past Bruins in overtime" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/01/23/marian-gaboriks-hat-trick-leads-rangers-past-bruins-in-overtime/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.